Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ontario 2011-1st Elk Hunt in over 100 years

Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ontario 2011-1st Elk Hunt in over 100 years

The province of Ontario, Canada, is having it's first Elk hunt in over 100 years. I have property in the main herd area near Bancroft, Ontario. The first ever season starts Monday Sept. 19, 2011. Between now and then I would like to know everything I can about Elk hunting in hopes of getting the first legal Ontario Elk in over 1 hundred years.

Lesson/Question#1- How well do they respond to calling? Open season is on a Monday morning, should I start calling on Saturday evening, to draw them in? Should I do night calling to draw them in like for Moose, or just during day time while actually hunting? Should I place Estrus scent to hold them in the area if calling does work?

I will be asking many questions in the near future. My main question for now is does calling make them come running in, walking in, or is it primarily used just for them them to give away their position, which means I stalk towards them.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

http://elkhunter2.tripod.com/
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

The worse thing you can do is over call for elk.

Don't call until you're ready to pull the trigger.