Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Hunter of Black Bear in SW Virginia? Need Advice?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Spike

Default New Hunter of Black Bear in SW Virginia? Need Advice?

First off, hello to everyone. This is my first post on this forum and I hope to get great advice from you all. Now onto my question...

I'm thinking about getting into black bear hunting out in south western Virginia (Pulaski/Montgomery County). This is in the area of Radford, Virginia Tech/Blacksburg, and the Jefferson National Forest if that's a better point of reference for anyone. The whole area is known as the New River Valley. Uh oh... I know this is going to be a long post already...

I've never been black bear hunting but I am a fairly experienced hunter. I've been an observer of hunting and fishing since I was about 5 years old, but became the man behind the trigger when I was about eight. I don't live in the area I mentioned permanently, and am actually from the coast where I primarily hunt whitetail and waterfowl, and the occasional turkey or quail, and the obligatory small game (rabbits, squirrels, etc.)

I want to at least try black bear hunting even if it doesn't become a permanent game of choice, and I really have no idea what i'm doing. Primarily i'm looking for links to detailed guides, tips, and strategies, but also feel free to post up your own tips here on the thread.

One thing that I found strange is the fact that the season here is November 22 to January 1 and we only have 1 tag per season. I know that black bears don't technically "hibernate" but they do go into concealed shelter (caves and such) and spend the vast majority of their time sleeping there during the winter, and only venture out when it's absolutely necessary. So if you have time frame specific experience (I don't know when seasons in other places are) is it hard to find bears during this time of year. It seems like it would be.

Second of all as far as gear is .270 acceptable (i'm pretty sure it is) with some good 150+ grain bullets. (Standard soft tip, ballistic tip, hollow point, don't know???). Also is stalking okay or do I want a tree stand? I plan on hunting in the Jefferson National Forest being that I have no property around here and don't know anyone that does. Plus the JNF has good terrain for bear as far as I know. But point is I can't set up a permanent stand but could use a portable one or a blind of some sort.

So i'll just cut this short here with what i've asked so far and respond to people from there. I could probably fill several pages with questions and I don't want to do that obviously. Anyway just give me any useful info you can and that would be great. Also as a side note I know it would be wise to talk to local hunters to get a feel for the area, but I don't know any and don't know where to find them. I'm thinking local gun shops, and outfitters might be able to give me some advice. Or I may even be able to find some books or something in the library.

So thanks in advanced, and sorry for the long read but I really want a plan for success before I wander off into the back country hunting bear with no idea what I'm doing.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Spike

Oh and how necessary is a side arm when hunting black bear. I know that .357 or .44 mag revolver would be good but that would involve a handgun purchase that I really can't afford. Soon i'll have a Sig P226 (.40 S&W) or Springfield XD (.45 ACP). I know that these wouldn't be ideal for bear but I guess I could bring it along just in case. Plus there are some crazy "mountain people" out here so it might be good for any bipedal predators.

I once heard that a minimum of a 6" barrel is required to carry hunting unless you have a concealed carry permit but I couldn't find anything on the VA Department of Game and Fisheries site that mentioned this. It just said that it's legal to carry a handgun while hunting during any season where it's legal to take game with a rifle.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure what they had in mind with those hunting dates. Maybe they don't want any bears killed. I would never see a bear here during those dates.

I don't know the laws in your state. A lot of guys hunt bears with bait or dogs. Neither of which I would do, and it's illegal here anyway.

I still hunt for all my game (muley and elk). I will stop for bear and use a predictor call. Then sneak to another area. I've had some luck doing that, but I don't claim to be a great bear hunter.

My passion is elk.

I don't carry a sidearm, and always hunt with a muzzleloader. I like the challenge. I do have some bear spray though.

Good luck.