Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Sitka Blacktail

Old 01-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Sitka Blacktail

Ever hunted?
If so Where?

Outfitted?
Guided?

Caliber used/suggested? this is bear country...
Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Ever hunted?
If so Where?

Outfitted?
Guided?

Caliber used/suggested? this is bear country...
I've hunted them on Kodiak, but the population was way down when I was there and I didn't end up taking one, although I could have. A flat shooting 30-cal is perfectly fine for them, and for bears. No need to be bearanoid. I spent a week hiking around Kodiak, from the mountaintops to the salmon streams, and never once saw a bear.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by AK Jeff
I've hunted them on Kodiak, but the population was way down when I was there and I didn't end up taking one, although I could have. A flat shooting 30-cal is perfectly fine for them, and for bears. No need to be bearanoid. I spent a week hiking around Kodiak, from the mountaintops to the salmon streams, and never once saw a bear.
I'm not too worried about bears, but hearing guys suggest a .243 for sitka deer when there could be 1500+ pound kodiak around the corner doesn't make much sense to me either.

I think I'd feel more comfy with a 30cal-180gr bullet than a 270-130gr bullet.

How's the population for sitka on kodiak these days, any idea? I hear it varies every few years, I assume it's better to go during a year of lots of deer?

I was thinking a 300mag, but a 375H&H doesn't sound bad either.

Did you see any caribou while on kodiak?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not too worried about bears, but hearing guys suggest a .243 for sitka deer when there could be 1500+ pound kodiak around the corner doesn't make much sense to me either.

I think I'd feel more comfy with a 30cal-180gr bullet than a 270-130gr bullet.
Whatever makes you sleep better at the end of the day. From a practical standpoint it really doesn't make much difference though.

How's the population for sitka on kodiak these days, any idea? I hear it varies every few years, I assume it's better to go during a year of lots of deer?
It's supposed to be better than it was when I was down there a couple years ago, but it can fluctuate wildly. Winter weather can knock them down considerably and there's still a lot of winter left. Hard to say what it'll be like until spring.

Did you see any caribou while on kodiak?
There aren't any caribou on Kodiak. There's a handful of feral reindeer, but they are extremely remote, and few in numbers. Some people get lucky and bump into them while hunting deer, goats, or bear, but very few people actually go after them as a primary species.