Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming draw help

Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default Wyoming draw help

I am looking to put in for the draws in Wyoming this year for pronghorn and mulies. They are a few I have at the top of my dream list. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which units to put in for. I don't need a booner but perhaps just a decent one would do. I guess I'm saying where to get the best chance at seeing the average animals. For that much it doesn't even have to be Wyoming but I can't afford an outfitter so public land would have to do.

Thanks

Kelly
Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you have any points?

Do you plan to hunt deer/pronghorn in WY this year? or in the future?

You may consider putting in for the special draws in place of the regular if you currently have 0 pts. They cost more but odds do go up, especially for those with 0 points.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Combo hunts are hard to do on strange public land. Have you considered narrowing your focus to either a mule deer or an antelope?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

I have 0 points. I don't necessary have to do them both in the same year. There are other animals on the list that I would like to work in over the years also. Elk and Bear are right up there but I figured I would concentrate on the pronghorns and mulies first. We have a good herd of elk and pronghorns here in Oklahoma but it is a once in a lifetime draw and so far my luck just hasn't been there..lol The mulies are here also but I have never seen a buck here only 2 doe.

I figured if I drew out both I would focus on the pronghorn first and if time permitted try for the muleys. So I guess pronghorn would be my main objective either this year or next and then go down the list from there. Thanks for yalls help. I appreciate it greatly.

Kelly
Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are some good areas of BLM land North of Casper that you might be able to draw. Check your BLM maps, choose an area, and good hunting.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to hunt antelope in WY this year...

I would suggest either putting in for the special tag for a decent/good area on public land, or draw one of the 100% units and pay for a trespass fee and hunt private land, which tend to be out east in WY. For the extra cost of a public land special tag you could possibly even save money just going in the reg draw for one of the 100% draw or leftover tags and paying the trespass fee.

Antelope make for a great DIY 1st hunt for a non-res especially. Good luck!

You may want to subscribe to eastmans or some other magazine, they have a decent research section in the back of each magazine.

Build points anywhere you can/want/afford to.

You may want to apply for CO mule deer just to gain a point this year, if they don't have a points only application, just apply for the toughest unit.

Don't pass on gaining a WY deer point though this year, they have a points only application period after all the draws happen. You may as well apply for a great mule deer unit in WY now though and if you draw have at it! or just wait for points only later on, and draw that antelope tag this year.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

First of all, I don't think Wyoming offers a "combo" hunt for Deer/Antelope. In fact, I just looked again and did not see that license/app listed. (if that was what you were looking for.)
So . . . you would have to apply 'seperately' for both the Deer and Antelope.
I am from Cheyenne (SE Wy) and am mostly familiar with thiis area. Given your desire for both a deer and lope, public land, lots of critters, and a decent chance at a wall hanger . . . I have to recommend (strongly) Deer Region "W" and Antelope area 53.
Within the deer region you would be in area 82 to match the boundries of antelope area 53.
Understand, that in Wy you can applying for a deer license in a region (includes several areas) or a hunt area (limited to just one.)
These areas are north and east of Baggs, WY which is right in the middle of the state right near the Colorado border. The area is huge, is mostly BLM and/or Nat'l Forrest, has tons of deer and lopes, close to camping/motels.
You doing a gun or archery hunt? Coming from OK you need to know there are people who get "altitude sickness", Google it. Pretty rare, but worth mentioning. Also, bring ATV's if you've got them. The area is mostly red dirt which turns to red mud with every rain and snowfall. Snowfall is very likely after the middle of September. It will snow, melt off, and whoo knows after that?!!
Get ahold of a DeLorme atlas of Wyoming and it will show roads, topo, and property ownership (BLM, Nat'l For, private, state, etc.)
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

The previous post is correct. You have to apply separately in each draw. If you want to hunt pronghorn in a good area this year with plenty of public land and over 12,000 acres of private land that is enrolled in the WIHA public access program that you can hunt on for free apply for antelope unit 7. You can draw that tag with no PPs. There are a lot of goats up there and you can either camp on the Federal land or stay in a motel in Newcastle, which is a few miles to the east of the unit. It is up in the east/central part of the state not to far from the SD border and anybody that I've ever sent out there has filled their tags. You can apply on the G&F website until the deadline of 3/15. Hope that helps you and good luck!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-24-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

I really appreciate all of your help. If I get to apply and get drawn I'll keep yall posted on how I do and post pics if successful. I'll probably put in for the antelope and hold off on the muley for maybe next year or so. Who knows I may get lucky and get one in west Oklahoma this year. The are there just in very low numbers.

Kelly