Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Shipping Elk Meat $$ ?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Spike

Default Shipping Elk Meat $$ ?

Hi Guys, I have always drove out west for my deer and elk hunting, with the job I have now I dont have the time and will need to fly. For any of you guys that fly out west what does it cost ship elk meat, horns, and the cape home? Thanks for the help Sean
Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Spike

Alot. Somwhere in the neighborhood of 2.50 + a pound. If I can recommend something take as much meat as you can home on the plane. Box up your gear and clothes and send them home standard ground ( fed ex is cheaper then ups right now). Even paying the extra bag fees on the airline you will be way ahead. Just a recommendation.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can take the first 50 lbs for free. Then they charge you for every 50lbs after the first 50. You cannot use anything but re freezable coolants or dry ice, no ice. If you use dry ice you can only have like 5 lbs per package so that will get very pricey. You have to adhere to their container rules as well. Call Southwest, they are more than willing to explain it all to you and are very helpful.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I didnt even think of that. I went fishing in Alaska this past summer and payed big money to Fed Ex fish home. The airport was full of guys that had it boxed up for the ride home on the plane. How does it work with a big set of antlers do ya just tape them up with card board and fly them home?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

I saw you can buy it from a TX farm, and ship it anywhere.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I flew home with 200+ pounds of elk meat a few years ago:
- shipped (fed ex) all my clothes and the rack (didn't take the cape), this took several days to get to me in NH from Idaho. forget the cost , but wasn't bad.
- packed the FROZEN meat in 50lb wax boxes, 4 of them.
- had my bow case
- crammed the rest of the meat in my carry on

It was around $320 for checked baggage. the meat got home mostly still frozen and that included a several hour layover in Chicago where I saw it sitting on a luggage trolley out in the sun. I was freaking out, but did not lose any meat.

Another successfull hunter in camp over night fed-ex'd his meat, cape and horns from Idaho to MA, it arrived nicely frozen the next day where his wife put it all in the freezer, the price for his peace of mind: $850
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Spike

Thanks for the Info, That is still less money then driving with 5 lost days of work, gas at 3.25 ++++ hotels, and food. Thanks again Sean
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Spike

Be careful on going the baggage route. For example, Delta charges $125 for the 3rd bag, and $200 for the 4th and any bag above that. So depending on the baggage rates of the airline you are traveling on it could become astronomical to ship that much meat. Another option to look at is shipping it cargo on Delta or another carrier. You can find places locally that will be setup as a verified shipper that will be able to ship through them. You would have to do Delta Dash or similar service which is like $120 for 100 pounds. Check out www.deltacargo.com and look at the rates. Then find a shipper locally that can actually ship on the airlines.