Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Pack in this fall?

Old 07-21-2003, 10:21 PM

Default Pack in this fall?

Been away for a while. I got great advise here in the past and wanted to get some more if you are all available. I have some details on the trip this fall. We drew first rifle season in zone 70 SW Colorado. We are hunting with Lost Canyon Ranch. Anyone know these guys? Anyway. My understanding is we can only take in 50# of gear each not counting the gun and ammo. We have something like a 24 mile pack in on horseback. So here goes with the new Questions.

1. What are the essentials? Boots, Knives, Clothing, etc. for under 50#' s
Again, we are experienced hunters, just not expereinced Elk hunters.

2. What to expect for weather at that location?

3. Water Purifiers vs Water Filters?

4. Shooting sticks vs monopod/walking stick?

5. Full frame pack vs fanny pack vs daypack?

Been working out and dieting and lost about 22#' s so far. Still quite a few to go, but really working at it. Walking banks and long steep hills, starting to bike for more cardio, and been on the nordic track as well. Other suggestions? We are also heading to the riding stable for some " conditioning"

Thanks again in advance for the help.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pack in this fall?

We are also heading to the riding stable for some " conditioning"
Yeah after a 24 mile horse back ride in the Rocky Mountains you' ll never want to see another horse for the rest of your life.[]

You can get a lot of gear in under the 50 pound mark. I am asuming that the " outfitter" is providing things like food, shelter, cots, cooking gear, and things like that.

Make sure you take plenty of and a variety of socks with you and Clothes for all weather conditions. First aid kit especially being on horses for 24 miles. All on your normal hunting gear like knives, sharpeners, rope. Emergency things like water proof matches, space blanket, flagging tape, compas, small mirror.

You probably won' t need the frame pack with an " outfitter" so a fanny or day pack will do. Walmart has ones with a hydration bladder built in so you can carry water with you,

A " shooting stick" can easly be made from a small tree limb if you really want one when you get into camp.

Remember that some things like your knife, one pair of boots, one set of clothes you will wear on your body.

Get a list from your guide of things that they provide so you won' t be duplicating gear for no reason. They may provide things that you would normally provide yourself on a hunt.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck on your hunt!

The Lost Canyon Ranch is about 3500 acres, so if you are riding 24 miles, you must be headed out to the BLM/Forest Service area. In 2002 the success rates (1st season) for #70 were 48.7% public, 73.6% private land. In ' 01, 47.2% & 70.2%. In ' 00, 45.8% and 78.5%. For the money you are spending, it seems you would have a better chance on the private land, and could avoid that horse ride.

BigBulls answered most of your questions.

Unit 70 ranges in altitude from 5,000 feet to 12,000 feet. Call the outfitter and find out where your horse ride ends and then you can figure out the right clothes to bring.

Bring a water filter.

You can fit ALOT of gear and be under 50 pounds. Find out what will be provided. Bring a pair of comfortable shoes for camp. Also, go to a store that sells kayaks/canoes and get a Sorbethane (sp?) pad for your saddle.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:54 PM

I bowhunted The Gila National Forest a few years ago and I thought I was prepared for the horse ride..I wasn' t!! We had about a 15 mile ride and after about 6 my legs and bottom were sore.If I were you I would ride and ride hard before you go out.As far as gear I would take warm,cold,and rain camo.In the mountains you could get anything from 100deg to 10deg.I would also recomend some baby wipes for cleaning yourself.If you have water around take a bottle of scent free soap,a rag,and a towel.I also would take a bottle of advil and some pepto.The advil is for the elevation headaches and the pepto is for the three dutch oven meals you will be eating a day.Good luck
Old 07-22-2003, 12:58 PM

Exercise comes in different types. Some you' ve identified like cardio and strength.

Here are two other types of " exercise" that count a lot:

(1) Feet -- start exercising in your hunting boots; you still have time to get some blisters, remedy the problem, heal them up, and then callous them over -- now your feet are set.

(2) Joints -- start exercising " under weight" (say a 20 pound pack and a 10 pound stick). Joint pain can really put a damper on things -- exercising your way into it can reduce/eliminate it or at least let you know if it is a problem. I would make sure I had some Advil (painkiller/ANTI-INFLAMMATORY) or Naprosin (prescription, start taking it a week before the trip and always with food.) Now your joints are set.

(1) and (2) above -- don' t bet on the use of horses to eliminate the stresses to feet and joints.

Side Note:
When you take off on your 24 mile horse ride make sure you are wearing your long underwear bottoms -- NO MATTER THE TEMPERATURE THAT DAY!

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 07-22-2003, 01:43 PM

Since I' ve been elk hunting before(this is gonna be my first) I can' t help on what to pack in with you. As far as the 24 mile ride in, wear Wrangler 13mwz jeans. They have the thick seam on the outside of the leg. Any jeans that have that thick seam on the inside will turn the insides of your legs into hamburger no matter how many pairs of long johns you have on. When I was growing up, my folks had a cattle ranch in NE, I made the mistake of wearing Levis one day riding. After about 8 hours in the saddle my legs were bleeding. To this day I refuse to wear any jean like that. I haven' t been on a horse in 6 years and my legs hurt just thinking about it. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 07-22-2003, 06:06 PM

Ilove,

Hey, I grew up on a ranch in NE also. Always wore Wranglers and never got into a pair of Levi' s -- if that' s the way they make ' em then that would be pure torture!

Assuming you have the " right" kind of pants, the long underwear can delay your saddle sores to much later in the day!

EKM
Old 07-22-2003, 07:17 PM

Thanks guys. Like I said, the group are experienced hunters and we are conditioning. The rest of the group is in luck for the sore joints. See, I' m a Chiropractor. As for me, well, someone might get a quick lesson. I will have more info tomorrow night after we all get together for a " meeting" ! I am told their will be a list from the outfitter and we are going to try to decide who already has what and what to buy.

I' ve been walking in my Rocky hiking boots so far, but we were talking about switching to the hunting boots soon.

My concern is over altitude sickness as much as anything else. We are debating on leaving a day early to " acclimate" I' m all for this. My background is in sports medicine and I have a good kit that I can break down to the esentials for the trip. I really like the sorbathane idea, thanks.

Another question. I have a small light fixed 20X spotting scope and have been looking at binoc' s. Is a range finder a necessity? I' m shooting .338, we have 2 guides for the six guys. Will likely be doing some hunting in pairs w/o a guide. I' ve been looking at the ranging binoc' s in the new Cabela' s catalogs. Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the advise.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

A rangefinder is by no means a necessity. However they are nice to have. I' ve found judging distances in the Rockies to be tricky sometimes. In canyons things are always further than they appear. When its flat things like a mile away at 400 yds. If you have one and the time you can range an animal and then have that much more confidence when its time to shoot. However don' t feel handicapped without one.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

This what I pack for a 6-day trip
2-Pair boots 3-heavy socks 3-light socks 3-shorts
3-long Jon' s top and bottoms
3-pair jeans (Wrangler)
3-Tee' s - 3 long sleeve wool
3-Heneley' s
1-wool sweater
1-light coat
1-heavey coat
1-wool Pants
Hat,Gloves

As for a day pack I would go with a torso or a good soft side pack.
Water should be at camp so you should be able to fill cantee' s.Bring around 40 round of ammo.Were Nylons to cut down on Saddle sores it helps.BBJ

Quick Reply: Pack in this fall?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.