Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Pack in this fall?

Old 07-28-2003, 12:24 PM

Default RE: Pack in this fall?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Ain' t really warranted for the rockies? I' ve seen fellers so sick they couldn' t ride, walk or even stand. Its an individual thing. Some handle the change better than others. What don' t bother me may give you a brain hemmorage.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:25 PM

Water should be at camp so you should be able to fill cantee' s.Bring around 40 round of ammo.Were Nylons to cut down on Saddle sores it helps.BBJ
BBJ - Can you eloborate on how nylons help with saddle sores? Is it that the wranglers make so much fun of you that you just don' t care if your butt hurts?????

I' ve got a 8 day pack trip planned for this fall and no opportunity to ride forehand. I hoping that I won' t get too tore up.

BeaverJack- When you was guiding what would have a said to a hunter that stopped you half way up the mtn to rest cause his pantyhose was ridin up??
Old 07-31-2003, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

BeaverJack- When you was guiding what would have a said to a hunter that stopped you half way up the mtn to rest cause his pantyhose was ridin up??
LMAO!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2003, 10:01 AM

Dreamin'

I know part of your question is in spoof, but wearing something extra under your wranglers (Having the seam on the out side of your leg and smooth on the inside is good advise) will reduce the friction against your skin.

Just like hikers will wear one pair of thin " slippery" socks against the skin and then another pair of " regular ones" over those; the long underwear or the nylons trick(don' t know if I could bring myself to do the nylons one) serve the same purpose.

Saddle sores are NOT like blisters. While taken to the extreme they can bleed, in most cases when you feel saddle sores starting and you manage to get off of that horse and step into the bushes to drop your drawers and see what the hell is going on with your legs (usually inside of knees and thighs) you find it is only slightly reddened. Slightly reddened alright, but when you have four more miles to go, it can light every bulb in your tree before you get there -- you won' t be enjoying the ride or the scenery.

It is definitely worth avoiding.

Best Regards,
EKM
Old 08-04-2003, 02:08 PM

this was helpful
Old 08-22-2003, 08:50 PM

Good luck on your hunt!!!

I have hunted Unit 70 for the last 3 years, the one thing I can tell you is that you will see both extremes of weather. From 70 to 10 degrees. From sunny to rain, sleet, snow, thunder & lightning. So be ready! None of it ever last long, but it will come.

Old 08-23-2003, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Takes me about 3 days to adjust to the altitude regardless of what I do. Here are some things backed up by research to help. Most are already mentioned:

1)Lots of water. Avoid caffeine! Also, lots of WATER. Did I mention to drink water? This is the most important thing to do. It is easy to forget to drink in the excitment.

2) Antacids (I use rolaids, but others will probably work). 2-4 tablets every 4-6 hours if needed.

3) At least one day at altitude before you start working. 2 is better.

4) I have to take Diamox (prescription) to keep from getting headaches for the first 3 days. Most people don' t need this.

5) For muscle soreness, take ibuprophen. However, a herbal remedy I have used and others I know have used sucessfully is Vit C. If I take 3 grams (yes, 3 grams!) 3 times daily, I do not get sore in my muscles either from hiking or horseback riding. Tired and tight, but the soreness is reduced by about 90%.

Good luck
Old 08-23-2003, 04:15 PM

Excellent info. We are looking forward to it. My buddy just got off the phone with the camp and they are setting up right now. 2 bow hunts and one BP at our site and then us. We are getting really excited. They are seeing alot of elk, so the hopes are high. Vitamine C makes sense, as does the H2O. Also starting to take Ginko. Laid off the caffine some, working off of it. And pushing the H2O already. Getting close. 7 weeks to the hunt. Can' t wait!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2003, 04:40 PM

I do alot of pack hunts and rough it quite a bit and one of the best secrets I have found it soo avoid all heavy cots and matts and get a small one person blow up air matress. Down here there' s alot of pools (and of course the ocean) so most stores sell the blow up air matts for pools. They fold down to nothing and only weight a pound. At wall-mart, you might be able to find one actually made for sleeping on. It' s a little more durrable than the pool beds and come with patches in case you spring a leak. Also might be green in color in contrast to the pool beds which are usually flourecent.

That should save you some pounds. And emergency blanket or sleeping bag, allthough loud, and sometimes too hot can also save you some pounds and room in the pack but they aren' t too fun to sleep in.

Quick Reply: Pack in this fall?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.