Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How much Elk? . . .to a friend?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Dominant Buck

1/2 is fair
Old 12-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

When I back packed, shooter got the hide and horns, the rest was, YOU PACK IT YOU KEEP IT.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Banned

I've given him 1/2.
He was shocked.

Hey................It's Chrismas!!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Spike

My friends and I never have to discuss this we help because we want to help and enjoy the hunt with each other. 1/2 1/4 whats the big deal as long as you enjoyed the hunt together. If you feel obligated why is he your friend. If you feel like you gave him your honey hole and all that nonsense then it seems like you feel you gave him enough. It really is not about who gets what is it? If so find someone you really like to be in the woods with or go alone like you used to.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dig4gold
I've given him 1/2.
He was shocked.

Hey................It's Chrismas!!
That's what Friends do. It will come back to you. I strive to be as generous as my Hunting friends are to me.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our rule is simple.Or hunting crew can get big in numbers,It can be small, but no matter how many hunters and the number of game killed,All meat gets gets divided equally, even the cost of processing or the time put in to cut and wrap it up.If. You don't want any, don't pay, DON'T GO .The hunter who kills the animal gets to display the rack ,at his cost.LOL. But yeah, that's how we do it.Every year is different as far as what we want for cuts, but we hash it out over a bunch of beer the night before the hunt starts, if you arrive a day late cause of work or distance, or whatever,late is late.You live by that decision. If you are a no show you get none.There has been 1 execption. One person wife has cancer she is battling, and he would have been at camp but couldn't. We included what would be his equal portion of the meat, at no cost to him.But yeah that's how we do it. As soon as a kill is made we all jump in, it's a team effort.And the best part is, when we go to the butcher, they just love the way we have treated our meat (with care given), and we know exactly the sizes of pkging, we want and types of cuts we want, and how we want it wrapped.It's easy on the butcher and on us.The bill is given to us on pick up, usually a 10 day wait,call is made to my cousin, he notifies us the overall cost,we all
pool in the same amount of money and get the same amount of meat.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 01-02-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Spike

I would say give him at least 1/3 total. If you do that he will be happy to help you pack it out next time too. Big animals are hard to do by yourself.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

A elk is a big animal. How much would you have lost if he wasnt there to help you get it out?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fritz1
A elk is a big animal. How much would you have lost if he wasnt there to help you get it out?
Like I said . . . I'm used to hunting all by myself (for over 10 years). So I would not have lost anything.
I was just out of touch on hunting with someone etiguette wise.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Spike

Hello,
We have always split it up evenly. It is something to discuss beforehand.