Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Elk Hunt

Old 07-17-2003, 01:32 PM

Default First Elk Hunt

I will going on my first elk hunt this falland have a few questions. First is my 270 Win. up to the task of knocking down an elk? What do you all recomend?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First Elk Hunt

I will give you the best answer I can as this is one of the more heavily debated questions on this board. Many will say they' ve been using 270 for elk for years and have had success. My opinion is that if you are new to elk hunting then 30-06 is the minimum for elk. The problem is that 150gr' s is the biggest factory load for a 270 and in my opinion thats not a reliable elk bullet. It MIGHT break up if you hit heavy bone at any range and leave you with a long tracking job and maybe even losing the animal. I' ve seen it myself a few times. I think there are much better cartridges suited for elk and as majestic as these animals are I don' t like to use a marginal cartridge. You need the 180gr that a 30-06 can give you. Some of my favorite elk cartridges include: 30-06, 300 win, 338, 7mm rem mag, these are just a few to give you an idea. Again this a hot topic here but thats my 2 cents.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

I hope you have fun on your first hunt!

RBH was right on saying this is a hot topic.

It is true that people kill large numbers of elk with arrows and muzzleloaders. These hunters have to learn the limitations of their weapons, and so will you. The .270 is capable of harvesting elk, but would not be a " first choice" weapon. You have to use a premium bullet and be presented with a near broadside shot at a relatively short range. This combination does not present itself very often, so in fairness to your game, you would have to pass on a " marginable" shot that a larger caliber could cleanly take. If you could handle the discipline to not take those " marginable" shots, you should be fine with the .270.

Personally, I would not want to have to pass on a shot at a bull, and would opt for something larger, .30-06 minimum.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

I should have mentioned, I have previously used .300 WinMag for elk. I have a .45-70 I would use if the country were right, and thanks to ELKampMaster, will be toting .416 Rem this fall.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can put 5 shots in a 4 in circle @ 200 yards,use it.My personal prefrence is a .30 cal rifle of larger shooting 165 gr. or larger bullet @ 2700 fps or more for elk.
Why go under gunned,I' ve got freinds that shot elk every year with a 270 win. and usely end up with 3 or more shots in the vitals to get the job done.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve only taken 9 elk with my .270. Only had one complete pass through, including going through the far shoulder on a quartering away shot, and that was a 140 gr. fail safe bullet. Of the 9, only one required follow up shots, and that one was a bad hit, my fault. All others went down and stayed down, with one shot, using 150 NP handloads and all were within 200 yrds. The .270 is capable, just stay within yours and its limitations and bring home the meat.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

A factory loaded 150 grain premium bullet such as the Nosler Partition, Winchester Fail Safe or swift A-Fame will do the trick.
If you handload try 160 grain Nosler Partitions.
There are beter elk rifles out there, like the 300 or 338 win mags. If you shoot this rifle well then you will be just fine. Just use a premium bullet & shoot for bone.
good luck,
Old 07-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would step up to a 300 Mag. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not saying a 270 won' t work cause it will,heck a 30-30 will work in the right hands ain' t that right Rather_be( just kidd' n).Heck I hunted elk for years with a 25-06 rem w/117 BTSP until I lost my biggest bull after hittining him 4 times(I went over the capibilites of my gun and paid the price)so I think everyone here is saying go bigger so theres no regrets.Heck I don' t think any big bore to much.Get to big and the you start to lose trajectory.BBJ
Old 07-18-2003, 02:48 PM

Every one here is pretty much hitting it straight on the head. There' s dozens of cartridges that' ll kill elk in the right situation. Smaller calibers need more finesse and in some cases cooperation from the animal in terms of providing a broadside shot. The bigger calibers give you some margin on shot placement and will ensure that your load still has enough juice out at 300yds to crush a shoulder blade. In my opinion, as a first time elk hunter you should take every advantage you can and try to increase your chances to fill that $500 tag you got stuffed in your pocket. I' ve brought enough of those tags home unfilled to know that I' d rather bring home the Bull!!!!!

Quick Reply: First Elk Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.