Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Elk Hunt

Old 07-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First Elk Hunt

I would say the core-lokts are inadequate for your situation.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

I would also say core-lokts aren' t gonna get it done. You should use a premium bullet like a failsafe or a partition. But then again if you ask me a 270 is not good elk medicine either. Bigbulls is right if you hit the lung it' ll do the same job as a larger caliber but if you hit that shoulder blade, you might be an unhappy camper. Not really sure what the red cape and blue suit have to do with anything but elk are a helluva lot bigger than a deer which does make em a lot stronger. Check out a thread where the general concensous was that an elk is tougher to bring down than a moose.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

I only bring it up again because you said you had the opportunity to use a larger cartridge. I you have the chance why limit yourself?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:33 AM

CO...What would you recommend then? I' m open to any suggestions short of getting a new rifle...And I don' t know anybody that can handload for me.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Federal HE Bear Claw.

140 grs, 3100 fps & 2990 ft lbs at muzzle. 2620 & 2140 at 200 yds.

The Bear Claw is an extremely durable bullet and won' t be breaking up on you. That should definately do the job!

Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

$30.23 at Midway. Make sure you get the High Energy loads.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was the witness to the demise of a large cow elk two years ago.Me and my brother-in-law(Jimmy) were hunting in western MT,we were 60 yds apart in the timber when 6 cows ran his way offering no shot for me.The lead cow stopped 30 hrds in front of Jimmy he shot 4 tims hitting the elk in the chest and one roun in the neck to put her down.When we feild dressed her all 4 bullet were sitting on the far side aginst the ribbs,he was shooting a 270 win w/150gr. noslers and that day I lost faith in the 270 as a elk round.I know elk don' t were bullet proff vests but they are tough.Anybody here ever shoot an Bull elk head on through the brisket or slghtly quartering away you need maximum penetration.It works it worked for Jimmy but what if it was a 200 yd shot I don' t think it would have killed her.He now shoots a 300 Ultra mag/200 gr Noslers.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:30 PM

I just ordered a box of the Federal HE Bear Claws. I got them local since the price was about the same. They should be in Wed. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:09 PM

iloveto4x4nnc,

The 270 while not the biggest caliber out there, will kill elk.

Consider the type of hunt you will be on, if lots of long range shots, then consider something bigger caliber.

Also, consider your expierance. If you haven' t shot bigger calibers this can affect your performance. I think alot of people, go buy big caliber rifles because " they think they need to" . But, if they are scared of the bigger bore rifles, then they are not an advantage.

With a 270 you will need to know your limits, but every one has limits.

My 2 cents worth
Old 08-23-2003, 06:46 AM

270 is a superb deer rifle and hellacious on coyotes and through a bit heavy it is devastating on prairie dogs --- no limitations on any of these!

When you move up to elk, all of a sudden there are these limitations! -- " yeah, it will work fine but....." I guess unless you have a torrid love affair with the 270 or you enjoy operating under a handicap (like bow hunting) then that is fine (especially if you are highly experienced), otherwise why should one volunteer to " limit" oneself one on a MUCH bigger and stronger quarry (elk) when one accepts no such limitations with deer, coyotes, p-dogs, etc is beyond me.

I favor " scaling" the choice of rifle up or down according to the size and toughness of the game being pursued in order to remove such limitations. Given the total cost (direct and indirect) of doing a worthy elk hunt why pre-arrange a pending compromise situation from the get go? And if financial restraints prevent the use of a " scaled" rifle then fine, but then that alone doesn' t make the 270 " thee best" as some then claim, it just makes it passable in the face of necessity.

When an elk won' t give you the classic " deer/shot placement pose" ...." here, let me stop and turn broadside to you, now shoot me right behind the shoulder--let me move my leg forword for you a little bit so there won' t be any bone in the way" LOL, then the virtue of using something that will allow you to " nail them" from almost any angle, e.g. will cruise through both shoulders and stir everything in between (heart, lungs, etc.) will become pretty obvious (hopefully).

All too many say that they' ll just be ethical and wait for the " right" shot (described above) or not shoot. Uh Huh, just wait until day four and a five day season without their having got a shot off yet and then let an elk step out in an unfavorable situation and see how quickly the story (and the ethic) changes. Why set yourself up for that temptation and that limitation?

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 08-24-2003, 08:21 PM

I just found out that my younger brother is hunting with us, so the ability to borrow a bigger caliber is gone. I did get the Federal HE Bear Claws for my 270. This trip is gonna be a family affair, so for me, I' m gonna have a great time even if I have to pass up a shot. I' m planning on driving out there and back to avoid the hassles of flying with a gun. The wife isn' t too pleased with me wanting to drive 1700 miles each way, but oh well. This is one of the battles that I plan on not only fighting, but winning! If I can afford to do this again next year, I' m gonna look at getting a bigger rifle. Just didn' t have much time to save up for a new one this trip. Thinking of saving up for a nice 7mm or 300 win.