Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Elk Hunt

Old 07-18-2003, 03:26 PM

Default RE: First Elk Hunt

Thanks for all the replies. The only way I' m even getting to go on this hunt is my mom is buying the tag and paying my way out there and back. This will be a family hunt and they have some really big guns that I can use if I don' t think my 270 is gonna do it for me. If I' d ever thought that I might get to go elk hunting, I would have ponied up the cash for a bigger caliber. Sinc all I get to hunt around here are small bodied whitetail, I figured 270 would be all the gun I' d ever need. I' ll have to think about this and make an educated decision before I head out west.

Thanks again for the input
Old 07-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

I' m not saying a 270 won' t work cause it will,heck a 30-30 will work in the right hands ain' t that right Rather_be( just kidd' n).
You know BareBack I got a souped up CO2 rifle you might wanna try this year. Seems like you like them puny guns anyhow.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Rather_be all I gotta do is get close,I will send u my address and it to me.
I never said anything about punnie guns,my own elk rig is a 338 ultra 250 gr noslers or 300 WSM 180 noslers or old back up 338 win 250 gr Trophy Bonded BEAR CLAW
By the way iloveto4x4innc make sure what ever gun you barrow,it shoots where you wan' t it.don' t take anybody elses word for it.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Rather_Be
I hope I didn' t ruffle your feathers,I realy do agree withyou on caliber selection for elk.I get realy mad when I' m out hunting and I come across a Father/son or daughter hunting and the kid is carring a 30-30 or 243.These guys are caring 300 or 338' s.Why do they carry these magnums and think a lesser rifle will get it done.Why don' t they shoot 243' s and 22-250' s(Yes I' ve meet them).I think their is more sutible rifles out their.Yes I have shot elk with 30-30' s,25-06 and 6mm but they were what I had @ the time(ie huntig whitail does or deer in elk country).The minimum cartrige for elk that I conside is a 280 rem just because you can get 160 or 175 gr. bullets for it.I recomend alot of new fathers hunting w/kids nothing under a 7-08 or 280 rem.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I will admit I have shot a few Elk with a 270 and 140Gr failsafes. No lost animals or need for mulitple shots. I agree 100% you must be willing to stick to the limitations of the cartridge and use the right bullet. As such you must also know those limitations! All my shots were within 200 yards, broadside and yes i did pass up a good bull due to a poor angled shot. Like you it was all I had at the time and I used it effectively. BTW I now rarely use a rifle to hunt elk, just string and stick...so I guess I have dropped even further down the food chain. Just kidding, I know my limits, shot angles, yardages and use the most effective medicine I can throw out of my bow at elk. I suggest you do the same, find a good solid premium bullet like NP, Failsafes or bearclaws and stick to your limits, if you choose to tote the 270 this fall.

Have fun Elk hunting is blast and I bet you' ll be hooked for life! Better start saving now for that biggin'
Old 07-20-2003, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

I should have mentioned, I have previously used .300 WinMag for elk. I have a .45-70 I would use if the country were right, and thanks to ELKampMaster, will be toting .416 Rem this fall.
That 300 WinMag would be a good rifle to take.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Hey Rather_Be
I hope I didn' t ruffle your feathers,I realy do agree withyou on caliber selection for elk.
BareBack you didn' t even come close, I was just havin some fun with you too.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Rather_be,
You make alot of good point' s in your ramblings.Gottchya!![]

Keep the good points and info coming in.

Waiting for ELK season I driving me CRAAAAAZY!!!!!!!![&:][:@][>:]
Old 07-21-2003, 11:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your 270 is fine elk medicine. Elk don' t wear a blue suit and red cape. They are not some kind of supreme super animals. A bullet in the lungs will kill it no matter if it is coming from a 270 or a 378 Weatherby mag.

Before the premium bullets of today were available there may have been a problem with the 270 not being able to take elk reliably but times and bullets have changed. There is a wild selection of premium and super premium bullets available to hunters in factory loaded ammo that has the supurb ability to bust through tough muscle and bone and get the job done very well.

Great factory loaded elk bullets in the .270 are the 140 grain TBBC and failsafe and A-frame. Or in 150 grain the Nosler partition

You shouldn' t feel " under gunned" with your 270. There is plenty enough power there to you. Pluss you are famaliar with your rifle.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 AM

I' m currently using 150 gr. corelokts...That' s what I sighted it with and so far have been happy with them. Should I move over to the failsafes(or similar) or is the corelokt good enough? I' m going out to the range later this week to put a few rounds through it and make sure I' m still sighted in(it' s been banged around some plus deer season for me starts about a week after I get back from CO)should I get some failsafes and use those to sight in or should I stick with I' m using?

Thanks again for all the good advice so far.

Quick Reply: First Elk Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.