Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

where to go??

Old 11-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Spike

Default where to go??

Being from WI, I have no idea which state provides the best opportunity for hunting out West. I do know its more of who you know then what you know. I have a ten year old that wants an elk bad, as I would love to do a father, son hunt. I also know that he is very athletic and by the time he gets to 16 he will be locked down all fall with sports. So I want to do this when he is 12-15 years old. Planning a few years in advance I know is a good start.

We could care less about lodging, food, comfort. We want elk/whatever else the land would be willing to part with. What states should I avoid and which ones should I begin searching into more???
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you looking for a public land hunt? Would any elk be good, or are you only looking for bulls? What are your expectations?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Take it from an Illinois guy who has hunted Idaho the past 2 years (shot 2). Elk are not deer....the terrian is rough...the animals are big and heavy and when spooked they dont simply leave the area they leave the mountain/county. What takes you 30 minutes to walk they cover in 30 seconds. So my adcive is to get a guide no matter what state...you will spend 1000.00-2000.00 if you hunt it on your own and your odds will be slim. Going the guide route I am assuming (since we dont hunt with giudes we have locals out there who we are friends with and have horses) would be in the 3000.00 to 5000.00 range...maybe cheaper. Since your not looking to hunt for a few years save your money as you will be much happier.

If you do decided to go the solo route...here is some advice....

1. Get in shape being from the midwest it will take you a while to get used to the elevation. And these are mountains..not hills..and without horses you will walk miles.
2. The best GPS and topo maps you can get your hands on.
3. If your tenting it you will want a good tent (like a wall tent) and a -30 degree sleeping...a real bag made from canvass and lined. Not one of those silly nylon bags.
4. Good boots...like a danner or rocky. And spend the money on good socks.
5. Dressing can be the most challenge...it will be 10-20 degrees colder as you climb...but you will be sweating your butt off so you cant over dress. Fleece in layers so you can pull it off is the best bet.
6. Do yourself a favor and bring a real gun...I know the debates rage on this board about what caliber...I personaly carry a .300 win mag...the first bull I shot dropped in a step and the 2nd went 75yds. You will be sick if you hit one and he disappears ...or worse runs down a 200 yd ravine (called a drainage out there) and dies and you have to pack that meat up a ski slope to get it out.
7. If you shot one and there is a horse camp near by...trust me...get out a fresh 100.00 bill and pay the nice cowboy to pack it out for you. Until you have carried 75 to 100lbs of dead meat on your shoulder up hill you have no clue. And on that not get yourself some game bags and rope so you can protect the meat from bears, wolves, coyotes and bob cats while your packing it out. Hang it at least 8ft in the air.

Im sure I have more info....just need more coffee..LOL.....as for public land...check Idaho out they have plenty and offer 4 wheeler access to a bunch of it.

Good Luck
Scott
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Spike

hammy, I'll send you a pm in a few days on my experiences. weather is just to nice to be on this computer for to long. suppossed to snow fri and sat