Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hit bear twice with bow recovery? NY

Old 10-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL people in TX must think were a buncha morons.....I know I do
Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, in Texas , it is illegal to carry a gun while bowhunting too. I have a hog problem on our ranch, so I like to carry a gun in case I see a hog. However, if you are hunting whitetail with a bow, you can not legally have a gun. With a gun, I can usually get 2 or three hogs and shoot them at any range, but when I am bowhunting I have to hope they come into bow range and have to settle on getting only one.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks up your regs and it is illegal to: "Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons"

My devious mind says send out a nonbowhunting friend by himself with a small game license and a shotgun with slugs to see if he is dead. Sounds legal to me.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Spike

Looked for 10 hours today. Had six guys for 6 hours and called two blood dogs in to help for the last 4 hours. We tracked the bear for about 3 miles with the help of the dogs and had ok blood most of the way. However the bear never laid down. With about 1/2hour of daylight left we called the search off. The bear headed deeper into the woods and we headed back to the truck over an hour away. If we would have found my bear back there it would take a day or two to get it out. Steep hills about 300'.
Thought we had him ,then we did'nt. This last 24 hours will wear a guy out. What a day .

Last edited by skillet01; 10-24-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Spike

I fill for you.You will lose a lot of sleep over that.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
car
Typical Buck

You don't always hear the death moan. I've shot several bears and I heard it on only 2.

Last edited by car; 10-24-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

That Stinks, but I give you credit for getting help, dogs, and giving it a good effort. Amazing what animals can do.

On another note about NY reg's. As the law reads posted by Txhunter, during early season in Northern Zone. Archery, and muzzleloader run the same wk. So go figure how that law gets enforced when different weapons share the same woods!!!