Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.30 caliber~ The All North American Round

Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Spike

Smile .30 caliber~ The All North American Round

Prior to the 80's I hunted with the 30/30 Winchester '94 that I inherited from my father. I downed several grizzlies and elk (all under 100 yds.) with that rifle. I was later able to afford a Winchester 70 bolt-action .30-06. I harvested several rather large grizzlies and elk with that caliber from slightly greater distances, as well.

Approximately seven years ago, I purchased a .300 Weatherby Magnum. This cartridged rifle is a very powerful one indeed. It is also quite accurate, once you've adjusted for recoil.

I really do believe that the .30 caliber cartridge is really the universal round for all North American game, from varmints to grizzly and polar bears. Anything above .30 caliber, I feel, is overkill!

So what do you guys think?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree its the most popular in NA and well suited for near everything we have to hunt. Musox, Woodland buffalo and the big bears being the only ones where a larger caliber might be the ticket. Personally don't use a 30 cal, .25, 284 and .338 all I need.

"I feel" as an all around NA game cartridge the .338wm puts up a pretty good arguement. Load it up or down.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Spike

i agree, in a sense... a lot of fellas are packing cannons, and i dont know why... the trusty .06 has harvested everything i have pointed it at, grizzly, BB, elk, moose, deer, wolves, yotes... even popped the heads off grouse... I recently bought the .325 BLR for a saddle gun, and i am impresed, but i have never needed the extra "umph" behind my shots... I also bow hunt, and have no objections getting close on any critter... it is all shot placement. I have actually taken both grizzly and blacks in the oat fields with a .243 and wasnt concerned about it... but again it is shot placement