Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

NM Elk - UNIT 15 muzzlelaoder - here we come!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default NM Elk - UNIT 15 muzzlelaoder - here we come!

Just a few more hours away before the wheels come up (so to speak - we are driving) and we head out to Reserve, NM from Dallas, TX to hunt the Gila. Bags are packed and we are more than ready to make the 3rd annual Father/Son elk hunting trip. Last two years we hunted Elk in Colorado. Dad is 1 for 2 and I'm 0 for 2. This last year we put in for guided tags and and pulled our first choice Unit 15 and are hoping to both take bulls this year.

Anyone have any experience in this unit?

Last year we hunted private drop camp from bowhuntermac in Grand Junction and that terrain 'bout kicked our tails. It was rough rough!!! I have no real idea what to expect in NM, but I've been told that it's a lot less extreme and easier hiking.

ah - for those interested, this is our first hunt with Muzzleloaders. We've been practicing with our TC Omegas for several months though. Both of us use the same Blackhorn 209 powder and love it and and found the sabot that our guns like the best. I'm getting 4" groups @ 200 yards with that Barnes TMZ 290 grain sabot.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck!

I'm on pins and needles before my Unit 36 rifle hunt coming up at the end of the month. I'm going DIY though.

Keep us posted on your results, the Gila is supposed to have some great elk!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

good luck!

there are some monsters out there!