Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

HELP: Anybody have experience with custom load development?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default HELP: Anybody have experience with custom load development?

I’m posting this letter to a number of similar forums in hopes of getting some quick feedback on a question about custom load development...

First some background: I’ve got a custom rifle (my first such) built by a local gunsmith with an excellent reputation. It’s a 7MM Magnum with a Hart stainless barrel, built on a Remington 700 ADL action that’s been trued, lapped, triggered, and bedded in a laminated factory stock.

The problem is that it’s not terribly fond of any factory ammo that I’ve fed it. I’m not shooting junk, either — I’ve tried numerous kinds of Hornady, Federal Premium, and high-end Remington in various bullet weights and configurations...

I’m a good shot, with solid experience behind rifles of all kinds, from .17HMR up to .458 Lott. I’ve never felt the need to reload, because I can generally put together fine groups with any gun I’ve ever owned, after a little tinkering with factory rounds.

But with this gun, I’m struggling to get inside of 1.5 - 2 inches. I’ve gone over it with a fine-toothed comb: The action’s properly torqued into the stock, and fully floated. And I clean the barrel to bare metal using Butch’s Bore Shine and Shooter’s Choice every 10 - 12 shots, so I’m certain it’s not a fouling issue...

Anyway, I need something accurate to hunt with this season. And a shop I’ve had good dealings with for 20 years (Hendershot’s Sporting Goods in Han****, MD) is now offering their own line of “Extreme Custom Ammunition” that’s comparable in price to factory premium rounds...

They sell it pre-loaded by the box, but I’ve decided to have them develop a load specifically for my gun — a service they offer for $395. Turnaround time’s pretty quick, too. A couple of weeks, so they tell me.

I figure that’s at least as cheap as me buying all the reloading stuff and attempting to nail down a load that works on my own (which I don’t really want to do anyway).

Can anyone tell me what to expect from this type of service? I know there are numerous outfits that advertise custom load development for individual rifles...

Anybody care to share some stories about their results with such a process?

Thanks,

J
Old 10-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Ya ever think about takin the gun back to ever built it!!!!??????????????
U have a gun that won't shoot anything off the shelf!!! what would happen if U got somplace and missplaced or had yer fancy ammo stolen or some such????????????? It sounds like it ain't the ammo to me

Last edited by finnbear; 10-11-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 10-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Something is wrong with the rifle. Take it back...
Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree - something is wrong with the rifle - take it back to the smith.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the others, take the gun back.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a dream job and a insurance nightmare>
Old 10-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

I;d take the back. That gun, even with cheap ammo, should be shooting well. And it's not. Handloads aren't going to solve your problem.
-Jake