Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Diaphram calls

Old 10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Question Diaphram calls

I have always used Reed calls but I am thinkin of getting some diaphram calls. Have any of you guys used them? They seem kinda cheap to me but do they work well?
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

They work REALLY well if you practice with them. You can pretty much make any noise you want with them. I use the same diaphram call for a cow call, bugle, etc. You can sound like a herd of cows if you need to. I think mine cost $6.95.

Of course I still can't make a good chuckle or grunt with it yet!

I prefer the ones with the metal or plastic bridge on the top, I can't stand the buzz on the roof of my mouth.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Spike

I agree that they do work very well. It does take quite a bit of practice to get it to sound just right but its well worth it. Having both hands freee before and after the shot with a bow makes a ton of difference.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty much all I use. I have a grown a preference to bugling bull diapharms in the past few years..thanks to elknuts suggestion. Funny I used to think the hootchie mama was the bomb and while it worked a few years ago...man can you tell that thing a mile away. It seems every elk hunter owns one in my neck of the woods. Slowly I might add, I have come to the realization when it comes to produced vocalization reeds/squeeze calls are to mono-toned and lack the ability to sound real. Just personal opinion or thoughts here.

May not be the biggest/badest elk but called this sat 5x out to the open field to get a shot 10 days after season had been open. The herd moved off before legal so all I could was call and hope I sounded like a different herd..result a notched elk tag and meat for the freezer. I'd say it worked JFL.

A little practice and finding the right one, your set!!! Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails Diaphram calls-1.jpg  
Old 10-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Who makes them? Primos?
Old 10-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Who makes them? Primos?
Ya Primos makes a bunch you should go to their web.
but i think there are some other brands.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Primos, Bugling Bull Game Calls, Carlton, Quaker, etc all have elk diaphram calls of some sort or another.

Bugling bulls palate plate's are my fave, I carry the raging bull and mellow yellow mama. A distant second is the primos palate plate series (imperial with a secondary being the ivory in the primos).
Old 10-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy one or two that are different to find one that works. I have a narrow/high pallete and have to use youth calls, and only quaker boy calls seem to work really well for me.

If you can user one, they are great. They cost about $5 so you should buy a new one every year
Old 10-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Probably the most versatile call. Start out with a single reed (they often call the latex a reed even though we are talking about diaphram calls) until you get the hang of it. I usually only use a single or double anyway. As stated you can do a variety of cow calls bugles, grunts, and chuckles with them. You can also do a pretty good coyote yip and howl. Some can do a good predator call, but I've yet to master that. I have called in turkeys with my elk diaphrams as well.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Here's some info I put together for proper mouth reed use, it should help you out a bit! The Mellow Yellow or Hot Coaxer are your best choices to start with! Mouth diaphragms are well worth the time & effort to master!--------

Learning to use a mouth reed takes persistent practice, do not give up too easily, even if it seems a bit difficult at first! Make sure you're using the right tool for the job here. You want to start with a light tensioned single reed latex mouth reed or a very light tensioned 1 1/2 layered latex reed as a beginner, no double reeds here or very tight stretched latex reeds, they're not user friendly & are for more experienced calling. You want to start with cow sounds first, soft ones at that, then you will graduate to louder & longer tones as you master the small ones. Bugles will come or stem from your cow sounds. A bugle is no more than a lengthened out cow mew where you would add more air & a bit more tension on the latex reed itself with your tongue. Bugles are reserved for AFTER you master cow sounds. You want to achieve one goal before you move on to the next one!

Do Not Over Blow! This is very common for new ones to do so, do your best to control your air output as if you were just breathing the air out past the diaphragm. Make sure you have a 100% seal where the tag of the call is up against the roof of your mouth, you must dam the air up. If tag is stiff, then chew/nibble on the tag & saliva it up a bit, to soften it with your front teeth, as you hold the main frame in your right hand. This will make the tag pliable & will now mold easily to your palate. The open end part of the latex reed of the call itself should be where back of top teeth on the inside meet gum line, you do no want it too far back, It is not held with your teeth in a biting motion at all, it merely will fit snugly into place against back of top teeth & loose tag part of reed sealed in roof of mouth, the call will be in a 30-35 deg angle. Adjust front or back from there for best position per individual, make sure you have it sealed or you'll get a hissing sound, that shows air is getting over the top of mouth reed tag & escaping just under your pallet! Now take the tip portion of your tongue & drop it down to where it touches in the area of the inside of your bottom teeth & gum line, now use the middle portion of your tongue to contact mouth reed in the middle portion of the latex not the end of the latex. Some find that using the front portion back of tongue & shaping it like a bicep then using that small part of the arch in contact with the latex works best for them for some bugling such as the location bugle. To start getting a sound out of your call, say shhhh as you apply light pressure on latex with flat part or center of tongue. For more elk like sounds, now put a bit more tension on the latex & slowly increase airflow in a controlled manner. For cow sounds only light tongue pressure is needed with controlled air flow such as breathing type air. Don't push the air or force it out, avoid quick bursts of air for these starter sounds! Play with tongue tension for best sound quality, & make sure your tongue is salivated for slickness & you'll notice less tickling! Do your best to keep solid contact with tongue on reed when making sounds, this can change a bit for more nasally cow sounds, then you would slide tongue just off latex or near end of it to flutter latex & create the needed vibration of latex to get the nasal effect that a cow will use at times! For all bugles & screams you do not want your tongue slipping off front of reed, you will lose major volume there if you do! See how this info works for you! But, perfect your cow sounds first before moving on, or being concerned with bugling!

If this info helps you out to get reasonable sounds after a bit of practice & you'd like to further your progress & education, then you may like to consider a DVD we have out called "Mastering The Mouth Reed" It will go into step by step proper use of mouth reeds. In addition to this it will share with you how to make the many sounds that both cows & bulls make, & there's quite a few of them, including those difficult grunts & chuckles. Our New CD "Sounds By The Elk" will go over many of the defined sounds you'll hear & want to imitate under selective setups!

ElkNut1