Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ATV retrictions in the San Juan forest

Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ATV retrictions in the San Juan forest

Be advised that this summer a lot of legal access ATV trails in southwestern Colorado have now been closed to travel. The areas I mainly know about involve the San Juan Forest.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5176842.pdf

Wouldn't you know it. For the first time ever, I borrow a 4 wheeler, borrow a trailer, pay the $25 fee and take one up there only to find out that they had just closed the trails.

Don't get me wrong, I am actually glad they did. Will only make the hunting better. Just think their timing is lousy, just before hunting season. Would have saved me LOTS of money in gas and the sticker if I had know before hand.

Oh well, will have to burn extra gas on taking horses next time! Or a bicycle, that is still legal!

Anyway, if you are planning to hunt in the San Juan forest, you better check things out before taking one this year.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

The bicycle isn't a bad way to in some areas. We've an area, closed to motorized traffic during the hunting season, that we take bikes back on. Not much faster going back in there than a fast walk, but coming out is nice. One gets a few double takes when a mountain bike goes by with a hunter, loaded with a pack, and a rifle and antlers strapped on the back! lol
Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank god the dam things have been ruining the forests here for decades. Get off your butt and walk........................
Old 09-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

...just dont 'bend grass' with your atv like i did, cost me $275.00 (or my choice of a trip to the U.S District Court). I always walk, never used my former ATC to hunt off of.

Last edited by SILVERTIP-CO; 09-25-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

SKB: I will walk your butt off any time! My favorate hunts have been timberline ones where there are no roads, and if you had really read my post, you would see that I said I was glad for the change!

These are ATV roads that are being closed. ATVs were simply a way to get to the trailhead of our hunting areas faster. ATVs are a tool, no better or worse than the weapon that you carry. They can be used properly and can be an asset or improperly and tear the country up.

My goal was to educate people who were planning on taking their ATVs to the San Juans so that some might then leave them at home, and/or not get $275 tickets, not open the ball for ATV bashing. There are plenty of those threads on the books.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

There needs to be much tighter enforcement of restrictions on ATV usage in the San Juans. I have seen guys off of the roads many times, and they seem to get away with it. I have even seen (more than once) ATVs hidden by brush where some guys rode in off-road for a few miles before setting off on foot in an area where motorized vehicles are banned.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with that!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

In reference to the my earlier post: This is my "ATV" at work on Saturday.

I actually own a couple of four wheelers. They don't go where they shouldn't, but do save some wear on the truck in many areas.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
SKB: I will walk your butt off any time! .

You would know this how ?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm your Huckle Berry....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.