Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ATV retrictions in the San Juan forest

Old 09-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
You would know this how ?

Well, in my first post I expained that this was the first time I have ever taken an ATV, and I have been hunting in Colorado since 1982. You do the math. Suffice it to say, I have paid my dues.

So here is one example of a hunt I did above timberline over 5 miles straight up hill from the truck in the Sangre de Cristo wilderness. I AM NOT AN ATV SLOB, so don't treat me like one. The sad thing is if we met on the trail, you and I would get along, but online, first thing you do is come on and slam me.
Attached Thumbnails ATV retrictions in the San Juan forest-david-s-sangre-buck2.jpg  

Last edited by txhunter58; 09-27-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wyomingtrapper
In reference to the my earlier post: This is my "ATV" at work on Saturday.

I actually own a couple of four wheelers. They don't go where they shouldn't, but do save some wear on the truck in many areas.

Looks good! Gonna have to take mine next year. Do you have any special kind of tires on it? Put "slime" or anthing else in them? Take extras tires or patches. All new to me, but seem like you would probably have to deal with flats commonly.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where at in the Sangre De Cristo Mtn. Range. I was born just west of there.

I hunt the Wolf Springs Ranch property this year. Medano Pass area. No ATVs
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

"Looks good! Gonna have to take mine next year. Do you have any special kind of tires on it? Put "slime" or anthing else in them? Take extras tires or patches. All new to me, but seem like you would probably have to deal with flats commonly."

I don't, but would if going off road much. Basically I take it on closed roads to get back to where I want to hoof it. Slime and the heavier thorn resistant tubes/tires would be in order. We have to deal with sharp rocks around here more than anything else.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
Where at in the Sangre De Cristo Mtn. Range. I was born just west of there.

I hunt the Wolf Springs Ranch property this year. Medano Pass area. No ATVs
I went in from the West side. Foot traffic only, not even a horse trail, climbing over and under down trees. My brother and I were the only hunters there. One of the best hunts I have ever been on. Hope to go back some day on a muzzleloader hunt as that can still be drawn easily.

Would love to hunt the wolf springs ranch for elk someday! Was applying there on the RFW hunt until they did away with nonresidents. Been there once as I am a veterinarian and got to see the Arabian horse facility.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
I went in from the West side. Foot traffic only, not even a horse trail, climbing over and under down trees. My brother and I were the only hunters there. One of the best hunts I have ever been on. Hope to go back some day on a muzzleloader hunt as that can still be drawn easily.

Would love to hunt the wolf springs ranch for elk someday! Was applying there on the RFW hunt until they did away with nonresidents. Been there once as I am a veterinarian and got to see the Arabian horse facility.
Brutal steep as there is no gradual incline, been there and done that. We used to go in from Villa Grove, were able to drive to the foot of the mtns but from there its all up and walkin.

My son and my sister both drew elk licenses at WPR so I am just the pack boy this year.

There are no horses on this planet that live better than Tom Redmonds.

We call it Jurrasic Park........

Last edited by skb2706; 09-28-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 AM
Typical Buck

The only reason I don't like ATV's is not from hunters scaring game with them because in a lot area's the game has learned to hide from them quite well. What really burns my buns is when some jerk takes an ATV off the trail another person thinks it's okay to follow and within one year you have a new rutted up trail leading somewhere into the mountains. They are a great tool for getting up into an area to gain access especially at high altitudes. It almost brings tears to my eyes when I see someone tearing up a new piece of forest because they are too lazy to walk. They will be banned if people don't start using them right. We had a whole district area closes last year in the Rio Grande National forest. Too many accidents from people taking them where they should not go. Used responsibly they are a great tool to get to the high country. I do remember the days when certain mountains had elk out grazing on the top but now there's an ATV trail there and elk are in the tree's before shooting light. Yeah they've made their impact.