Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

colorado gmu 12

Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Spike

Default colorado gmu 12

Am looking for insight and advice on hunting co. gmu 12. We will be hunting first rifle season. Have hunted this area with success out of bar h's milk creek camp before. Will be a DIY hunt. Scouted area a couple weeks ago off of FSR250. Looks to be several well used campsites along this road from fs248 east to fs299. What is consensus on using one of these sites. Are they used by the same people year in and year out? Are they first come first serve. We dont want to start a argument just want to hunt. We realize there are alot of people use this area especially opening weekend. We plan on hunting north off 250 down into the milk creek area. any suggestions? What about going south off 250 into gmu 24? or east up and around sleepy cat peak? Thanks for any advice/help this is a great website.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not familiar with the area but can tell you that unless it is a designated camp ground, camping spots on public land are first come. I seriously doubt anyone will give you a hard time. If someone was looking forward to camping there, they will probably just move on to another spot.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

kinda know this area, i hunt unit 11. Definitly get a blm map for the area. Some places you may wanna look into are the east side of Wilson mesa around Pine creek may be good. Indian Run SWA also has elk especially the south west side by the private. Most of the elk will be up high during the 1st season. Good luck let us know how you do.