Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: Will wolves be killed this fall/winter?
Yes, more than last year
50.00%
Yes, but less than last year
35.00%
No
15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Will any wolves be killed this fall?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Will any wolves be killed this fall?

What's your prediction?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to stipulate who is going to be doing the killing and whether it will be by legal means or not.

Government sharpshooters are killing wolves year round on depredation requirements. Last year when it was all said and done, nearly as many wolves were killed under depredation kills as there were by sportsman with hunting licenses.

I voted not as many as last year because there will still be plenty killed, they just won't be killed by sportsman (legally).
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

really gov't sharpshooters? I haven't heard that...that's ridiculous, paying people in gov't lots of money to do what hunters are willing to pay the state to do.

I tell you those guys who shelled out the cash last year to get a wolf are looking smarter and smarter.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to find the numbers, but here's the scoop for Idaho.

http://westinstenv.org/wibio/2010/04...y-report-2009/

When wolves commit depredations on livestock, the appropriate IDFG Regional Supervisor typically authorizes WS to initiate some form of incremental lethal control to help resolve the depredation activity. Nonlethal control measures may also be implemented or recommended depending on the specific circumstances, but in many cases, particularly with sheep producers, wolf predation has occurred in spite of ongoing nonlethal efforts to prevent wolf depredations. During wolf control actions initiated in FY 2009, 12 wolves were captured, collared and released on site (as compared to 10 in FY 2008 and 9 in FY 2007) and 107 were killed (as compared to 82 killed in FY 2008 and 48 killed in FY 2007 (Figure 4)).
Couldn't find numbers on Montana but it looks like they are going to increase based on this article.

Montana's top wildlife official acknowledged Friday that the state has too many wolves on the landscape, so he's implementing a new strategy that will allow problem wolves to be killed more quickly by federal agents.

In a hearing before the Environmental Quality Council, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks director Joe Maurier said federal Wildlife Services agents no longer need FWP authorization to kill wolves at or near confirmed livestock depredation sites.

The agents also will be able to immediately kill any wolves that are trapped when they return to those sites to feed on dead livestock.

"For the amount of conflict we have in all sectors today, we probably have too many wolves on the landscape," Maurier told the council. "We had tolerable conflict on the landscape; now it's intolerable. Now we have to go back to the point where it's tolerable at all levels but we still have a viable population."
Couldn't find numbers for Wyoming, but I'm sure if I kept looking I could get there. I would guess between those 3 states they will kill at least a couple hundred in 2010.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I predict the number of illegal wolf kills in Idaho, Montana & Wyoming will be Zero.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Nope!!! Too many lily livered, tree huggin, political ******* who make the decisions on controling the wolf population. I do think the wolfs days are numbered though.

Note skirting around the word filter is against HNI rules and why it was edited ~ JW

Last edited by JW; 09-26-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: skirting around word filter
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finally found the hard numbers!!

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/...b_03-08-10.pdf

264 wolves were killed in the Northern Rocky Mountains by Wildlife Services in 2008 and 270 were killed in 2009.

Last year hunters killed 188 wolves in Idaho and 75 in Montana. Wildlife Services killed almost twice as many wolves as hunters did in Montana in 2009. (Wildlife Services killed 145 wolves in Montana in 2009)

Total wolves killed by hunters in 2009 was 263 vs. 270 killed by Wildlife Services in the 3 states combined.

I'll go out on a limb and predict over 300 wolves killed in 2010 by Wildlife Services. Wyoming needs to get their act together, only 32 wolves killed by Wildlife Services in Wyoming last year and no hunting season either. That compares to a combined total between hunters and Wildlife Services of 281 killed in Idaho and 220 killed in Montana.

Wyoming really needs to get something figured out on this.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Spike

heres 50 that didnt make it last winter http://www.youtube.com/user/highnwild#p/f/8/K9laqXXipZ4

http://www.youtube.com/user/Adventur.../7/or7JJhXObXU

Last edited by wildnfree; 09-03-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Spike

The patience and understanding has expired here in Montana. I would not be disappointed if a LOT more got killed this year - legal or not. I would be thrilled if it were open season on them. The way I understand these "wolfies" is that they want to re-introduce them back into their natural habit. Well, what is next, grizzlies back in downtown Great Falls (they used to be there), or maybe I should replace all the rattlesnakes that I've killed around my place too. If these people want more wolves, fine - put the wolves in their back yard, not mine.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Nope!!! Too many lily livered, tree huggin, political ******* who make the decisions on controling the wolf population. I do think the wolfs days are numbered though.
I agree, the wolf push and and the history to this date shows the real reasons for the illegal wolf introduction. People have had enough of the wolves, we have seen what and out of control wolf population has done to the Yellowstone, Montana and Idaho, the feds club for killing wolves is loosing it's clout. Wyoming is the only state that has the correct wolf plan, the only way there will ever be any wolf control is with an open season and even than there will need to be special hunts. Alaska has proven this many times. Like the Democrats the wolves have everyone past mad and it is time for a change. That change is not to far down the road, in the mean time wolves will get shot on sight by many.

Last edited by JW; 09-26-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.