Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

weather teports for co

Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 AM
Spike

Default weather teports for co

where can I find long range weather reports for central co? (that are fairly accurate, I know accurate and weather forecast don't belong in the same sentence) any web sites that do a fairly decent job for 10 days - 2 weeks.
thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jpron
where can I find long range weather reports for central co? (that are fairly accurate, I know accurate and weather forecast don't belong in the same sentence) any web sites that do a fairly decent job for 10 days - 2 weeks.
thanks

A long range weather report here in CO is 2 hours at best.

but weather.com is probably as good as any
Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Better to just look up the average temps., day and night, for 10 to 14 days out, because from what I've seen over the years when it comes to forecasting moisture, meteorologists aren't very good at pin pointing anything more than one or two days out. For instance, you might see them forecasting 10% rain or snow 10 days out, and by the time 10 days role by, they've changed it to 80% snow with heavy snow.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM
o_O
Spike

This is probably the best I know of. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/?n=forecast

In the mountains in the fall you have to presume you'll go from 60 degree sun, to snow in minutes followed by a freezing night and a fresh fall of snow that was never forecast. The mountains generate their own weather. Last Monday the forecast was clear blue skies and that was accurate except for the very top of Pikes Peak where some local weather lingered. I was up there hunting marmot and the weather went from massive winds, to warm sun, to freezing rain and back in the space of 20 minutes.

Weather reports in CO are only good for predicting storms and even then they often deflect of the long range forecasted path. In Colorado we don't trust anything past 3 days and even look at that with skepticism. I can't tell you how many times we've been told to prepare for feet of snow only to wake up to a light skiff, which isn't as annoying as not hearing anything about a storm and waking up to a buried car!

The best plan is to make sure you have a radio if camping out in the field and check for forecasts at least daily. Bug out if you have to. When it snows in the mountains it really snows. There are plenty of stories of people who have left their hunting trailers until spring time after being helicoptered out!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 PM
o_O
Spike

You can alss sign up to an RSS feed for a location and keep an eye on how the weather is trending, http://www.weather.gov/xml/current_o...e=co&Find=Find

That's pretty cool.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skb2706
A long range weather report here in CO is 2 hours at best.

but weather.com is probably as good as any

LOL...this is true....it'll change in 2hrs!!!! Above site is as accurate as any......just be prepared for cold to hot.....
Dan
Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ield2=-104.621
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Another vote for NOAA. You can pinpoint where you need the forecast for. I found this site to be the most accurate. I also like to use the Tabular forecast feature but that is only for 48 hour out. If you are coming from out of state to hunt in Colorado, be prepared for serious weather changes at anytime. Weather in the mountains can change in a heart beat.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...d2=-104.76&e=0
Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its was 41 degrees in the metro area last night. Supposed to be 94 on Saturday.