Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Outfitter Etiquette

Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Spike

Default Outfitter Etiquette

I always tip the guide(s) 10% or more of a hunt if they're employees of the outfitter. What is the etiquette on tipping the owner/operator of an outfitter when they both own the operation and guide? Considering the entire fee of the hunt is going directly to them should a tip be necessary and if so what amount? Thanks,
Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

tip your guide, the cook, horse wrangler, etc..., the owner/operator I wouldn't tip.

I've heard 10% is somewhat standard, but depending on the quality of the hunt/experience and overall cost and length of the hunt I think 10% can vary from less to more...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:22 AM
Banned

I'd say if he is both outfitter and guide, he deserves the same treatment as any other guide.
Behind the dest he is an outfitter, but in the field he is your guide. They earn it! If they don't adjust accordingly.
When I was guiding, $100.00 tip was the standard for elk, deer, lopes. The elk hunts were $8000.00 so 10% would have beeen $800.00! I WISH!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I always tipped the guide between 10 and 20%. In addition I tipped the cook $100.00 and other guides $50.00 that were involved with packing my kill out. I never tipped the outfitter but then again he wasn't my guide.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many outfitters when tipped will pass the tip along to their guides as that is part of a guide's pay. LIke dig4gold stated 10% on a higher dollar hunt would be more than most could afford.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

10% is a good standard for your guide. And I think reguardless if its the owner/operator you should tip. And if your on a hunt with a cook and and a wrangler, make sure you tip them too. I usually tip between 3% to 5% for them.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Banned

Let me repeat: He's an outfitter behind the desk (no tip), but when he's gutting your trophy and carrying it out for you to the taxidermists . . . he's your guide. . . and earning a tip (if the hunting experience warranted it. I would be inclined to modify the tip amount because he is also the outfitter, but a tip none the less.
If the cook/waitress/ owner in your favorite restaurant was the same person, would you not tip them (him/her)? Tips are for saying thanks for that extra effort.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 AM
Typical Buck

22 years I've been a guide and part owner of a outfitting business. Tips are great they do show appreciation and sometimes they can be well earned. But for one who truly loves their job it's not even thought of at the end of the hunt. I'd rather have a client with meat in their freezer, good laughs and a new friend than money. Some of my most remembered tips were, an elk bugle, rangefinder, and some cans of copenhagen because that was all the man had on him. It was more than enough because when that man took his first elk he had tears of joy in his eyes. Tip or don't tip just keep a positive attitude all the way through your hunt and enjoy every second of it. Game or no game. That's appreciated more.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Spike

I am an owner / operator / guide and as Blackelk states we do it because we love it. A happy guest is worth a pile of $.

Denis