Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cooganator & Benelli

Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cooganator & Benelli

Never in my life have I elk hunted, I'm a whitetail hunter from the Midwest and was wondering if it was common to bowhunt from a treestand for elk? I've never seen anyone on TV do it, it seems more like turkey hunting, in that it's calling to locate them, setup, and possibly call to get them in close enough? Or locate them and stalk from a distance with a rifle? Always wanted to elk hunt so just curious on how I should expect to hunt them if I ever try it.

By the way, you ever watch Benelli On Assignment? Host Joe Coogan has a blog now where he offers some great advice. He'll actual comment back if you post a comment or question on the blog. Just thought I could share this with everyone.
http://www.joecoogansblog.com
Old 08-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22
Never in my life have I elk hunted, I'm a whitetail hunter from the Midwest and was wondering if it was common to bowhunt from a treestand for elk? I've never seen anyone on TV do it, it seems more like turkey hunting, in that it's calling to locate them, setup, and possibly call to get them in close enough? Or locate them and stalk from a distance with a rifle? Always wanted to elk hunt so just curious on how I should expect to hunt them if I ever try it.

By the way, you ever watch Benelli On Assignment? Host Joe Coogan has a blog now where he offers some great advice. He'll actual comment back if you post a comment or question on the blog. Just thought I could share this with everyone.
http://www.joecoogansblog.com
Its not very common for elk. Pine tree's are not real tree stand friendly. Hunting a Water hole or a Wallow it is possible, but just not common. You have to be mobile and find the herd. Colorado bow season is during start of the rut so usually finding them is a little easier. Getting a shot is another story.