Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO Units 3, 4, 441

Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Spike

Default CO Units 3, 4, 441

I am thinking about heading out to Colorado to hunt Bull Elk next fall. I've researched and found out that you can buy OTC Bull Elk tags for Units 3, 4, and 441. I will need to hunt on public land and I was wondering, which unit has the best public land to hunt? I am going to be hunting either the 2nd or 3rd rifle seasons. Which season has less hunters but I can still expect to see a good number of Elk? I've never been Elk hunting before, so any info would be appreciated...
Old 08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Spike

I would have to recommend the 3rd season and hope for snow. It really hasn't happened the last couple of years. The elk seemingly are not migrating toward area #3 like they had in previous years.

You'll find easier access to public land in area #4. Area #3 is mostly accessible through private land.

Get some NF and BLM maps.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

i dont know much about 4 or 411 but unit 3 i have hunted and borders the gmu i now hunt. Definitly try and get the latest season you can, because in the late season when i hunt the elk are running everywhere(we even saw a group of over 400 last year) but when we dont draw late season we usally go 3rd and 4th its harder but the elk are still there. and there will be alot of hunting pressure in unit 3, but thats not always a bad thing.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Spike

Madmax, did you hunt on public land in unit 3 or on private? My girlfriend's father owns a cabin north of Craig, but doesn't have much land to hunt. So, I've got a place to stay and I have plenty of backpacking gear, which means if I can and have to camp in the backcountry I will. I have no problem backpacking a few miles in and staying. I just want to find some public land that will be productive in those areas. Were you very successful in unit 3 when you hunted it?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted on public, on the southern border of the unit. I think you can hunt unit 3 and 301. And yes i was successfull when i hunted unit 3 i killed a cow that year but it was also in december.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jnagel32
I have no problem backpacking a few miles in and staying.
Some of that country is rough and rocky. I would not say that backpacking a few miles would be "no problem". That's also very open country.

If you get enough weather to move animals, you can easily see them a couple of miles away, and it would take you a half a day to get to where they were. Unless they are spooked, they will be moving from East to the West.

Check your maps closely. Private property lines are very tricky and not necessarily identified as such. Access to 3 & 301 is possible but tricky from Hwy 13, but as I said, you had better know where you are.

Don't rule out area 4, but after the first 2 days of the 1st season, elk get scarce. You are dependent on weather, but usually the best bet is still 3rd season.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Spike

Magic, When you are talking about public land in unit 4 are you referring to Routt National Forest?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Spike

Sorry, I've been on vacation. Routt and BLM......You need both of them. Weather will either be your friend or foe. Unfortunately, the migration has not been happening the last few years as in past years. If you get some nasty weather, you may get some activity.

In 2006, some weather came early and the 2nd season was better than the 3rd. Since then the weather has been better for the 4th season which is draw. Normally the 3rd should be better than the 2nd.