Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hardest critter to hunt

Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Spike

The sheep hunts Ive been on in nevada can definately wear on you in every aspect. Yet I still cant imagine how tough a mountain goat hunt could be. Based on habitat only I would think this would be the toughest hunt in north america.

I've had to shoo them from a campsite backpacking. Perhaps 5 yards away, trying to get them to leave us alone. I could have killed one with a large rock.

It really is all relative.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would agree when based on the terrain sheep and mountain goat would be difficult to hunt. I would otherwise have to say whitetails are hard to hunt up here. Trying to get a trophy buck to come to a call is almost non-existent. Due to our low deer populations and coyotes running them 24-7 they are truely a hard animal to hunt. From the high hills to the down right ugly cedar swamps. Keep in mind some of these swamp release enough magnetism to keep a compass pointing directly into the middle of them once entering one. Alot of folks get lost in those swamps.. Thanks to all the woods cutting the swamps are getting easier to get out of.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-15-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Spike

Archery goats or sheep
Old 08-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Spike

Well, I have some experiance in the matter having hunted all over North America for many species for 35+ years. I have taken five sheep (three Dalls, one Stone, and a bighorn) plus one goat.

My vote would go to the mountain goat. The old saying is true: "Goat country begins where sheep country ends."

Ramhunter
Old 08-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is Trophy animals what the topic was suppose to be?Looking at the thread it says Whitetails (general statement) are the hardest critter to hunt. Hunting any trophy animal is tough and a person is damn lucky to get even see a trophy in his lifetime.To me a trophy is defined by the Boone and Crocket scoring system or something similar.Yeah One can make exeptions and go into a park and say these animals are stupid.You can't be more wrong , we have TAMED all those animals.Trophy elk goat moose sheep bear are all in the Park area and they all walk in amongst human activity all the time. Every one of these animals will all walk up to you.If you HUNT any animal location and terrain determin everything. You get a map you say this is where I want to hunt. I'm hunting.You get a topographical map and determine the elevation your hunting and how you are getting there.Then you scout it and you decide what is the best method and determine a strategy to use.This folks is HUNTNG.Sometimes hunting is easy,sometimes it's hard,and sometimes it's extreme.Sheep and Goat hunting generally
speeking are more to the extreme side than whitetail. If you don't believe it, give Sheep hunting a try.After that try Goat.Try getting to the goat after you just shot it and than hiking the meat hide and cape out after you shot it on a sheer rock wall. Your on a almost sheer rock wall forced to stay there maybe for hours cause a thick fog rolled in and you can't move, cause you can't see and one false move and your 1000 ft down..This is extreme hunting. This is for the most part how you have to hunt goat and all these things listed are apart of hunting.Bottem line is most of the time hunters won't shoot these animals cause they have no way of getting to them after
ward.Its near impossible to get these animals to come to you.*They don't come to rattling or calling you can't just drop food from a container for them to eat.To appreciate goat hunting for what it's worth, you have do it. Start by rock scaling in a facility. Pay attention to the vertical climb and notice just what little stuff there is to cling onto. then try Rock scaling in the field than try in the field.Notice the cracks crevaces overhangs loose rocks and shale that can get you in a pickle quick and send that goat you have spent hours to get to walk away like nothing. Next do it with a rifle,
scope binos,spotting scope day pack and rope. next 6000 ft up from the bottem of a canyon.It's scary stuff the hardest hunt ever find.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 08-15-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by needs_recoil
This can be said about any mature animal for any species though. Consistently finding trophy mule deer or elk is no easy task.
I can't disagree with that.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

I would also like to add the himalayan snow**** to the list. Only found in the Ruby Mountains of northern nevada. It is like goat huntin only you have to get close enough for a shotgun. Same nasty territory where mountain goats live in nevada. Usually above 11000 feet. The only time Ive ever seen them is when they are flying away and I didnt even know they were anywhere around until they took flight. I have gotten closer to the mountain goats in this area than I ever been to that bird. Makes chukkars look incredibly easy.

I know its a bird but the title just says critters not big game. It is another of those hunts you would have to go on just to see what I am talkin about.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry its a himalayan snowc o c k. Thought I had to let you know what the editing wouldnt let me write just incase any of you wanted to look it up.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, that Himalayan snow**** pheasant bird.Yeah I imagine they would be a tough critter to hunt.Have you actually hunted for them needs recoil.
Note to whomever.
What's with the **** for. Geez this is a hunting forum kids should now that **** is a term used to describe some male species of upland game birds.**** Phesant for example,is a male phesant.
Put four of this thing here (****) on the indentification part of the exam
and the poor kid just got the answer wrong. Common Now!!!Those 4 letters spelling that word aren't bad. That word needs to be known
when it comes to hunting teminology.It identifies the sex.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 08-15-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Spike

The hardest animal I have hunted to date was a Bison. I drew a tag the second year they opened up bison hunting in Montana and I ate it. I have never snowshoed so much in subzero temperatures in my life. It may have been easier other years, but it definatley wasn't the ace in the hole hunt I thought it would be. I figured the hardest part about that hunt would be drawing the tag. Boy was I wrong. Only one was harvested in my 2 week season, and I was hunting that day, but not in the right place at the right time, and it was 30 below zero that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.