Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Mulies / elk- still in velvet in early sept?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

they usually are still in velvet untill mid to late september in most areas.
Where, like I said, recent pics. show most elk here in CO. are out of velvet now..
Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only elk I have seen in velvet early September are small bulls. Midsize to large bulls all had their velvet removed.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted unit 47 in CO last year and saw bulls in velvet until the weather got cold in mid september. muleys as well.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

Elk for the most part are out of velvet by August 15th. Like said before except for a few small bulls and of course spikes. I've yet to see anything but a rag horn have velvet in September far as being in Colorado. Some area's had a somewhat dry spring thru mid summer expect to see shorter thicker dark horns.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted unit 47 in CO last year and saw bulls in velvet until the weather got cold in mid september. muleys as well.
When they shed velvet has nothing to do with when it gets cold..
Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I'm telling you what I saw believe me or not there were bulls and bucks during mid archery season still in velvet. I said it was getting cold in refrence to the time of year not the reason for them shedding.

We watched the 6x6 bull my brother killed last year the whole year and he didnt rub off until the 2nd week in september. We followed this bull throughout archery season and killed him during 2nd gun. All areas are not the same.

He's looking for info on the elk in OREGON anyways so I don't see what it matters.

Last edited by Alpine_Archer; 08-22-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned

Here in SE Wyoming most elk are over velvet and mulies are still full of velvet. Seems the larger the elk rack, the sooner they shed. For instance, a few years ago I shot a spike elk around the 20th of Sept and it was in full velvet, where the biggger bulls were already shed of all velvet. The mulies do the same, but much later in Sept.