Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bighorn Sheep Questions

Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default Bighorn Sheep Questions

The one animal I have always wanted to hunt is Bighorn Sheep. I have only ever seen then hunted on TV. From what I see it looks very difficult, and I love a challenge. I would love to climb up a mountain chasing one of them. I guess I got 2 questions:

1. Does every state make you enter a drawing for a tag? Which state gives you the best odds of winning?

2. Do you have any stories about hunting them? If you do please write about them. I love hearing/reading hunting stories.

Thanks and good hunting
Old 07-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

start applying everywhere now! well early next year...anyway...

every state is different and regulations change year to year etc...

I think every state has a drawing, with perhaps Alaska being able to buy OTC tags for Dall Sheep.

NM doesn't currently have preference points, so everyone has the same odds of drawing, still a drawing though...

One of the 1st western big game tags I ever applied for was MT Bighorn Sheep...., I'm still waiting...but that was a 20-30year plan...

I totally forgot, MT has unlimited districts for sheep, I believe you still have to apply for the tag, but it's 100% draw, perhaps they're OTC, they're on a quota basis and subject to closing at anytime, they're super tough hunts from what I gather, low success rates, but you could goto MT and hunt sheep any year you chose to!

I'm not sure what prompted me to pick bighorn as 1 of the first 2 tags I ever applied for really, it was MT Sheep, and NV Elk, I read some article about dream hunts and I was like I have to get applying already!

Lately though I really want a mtn goat, but hey whenever I draw whatever tag is when/what I'll be going for. However I think I'm going ot try to draw a goat tag sooner than later in an easier to draw unit, afterall IMO any mtn goat would make a great looking mount, whether he had 8" horns or 10", sure I'd want a 9+ but it's not like shooting a 4x4 vs. 6x6 elk in my opinion.

Last edited by salukipv1; 07-29-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Spike

Drawing a tag is harder then killing one in most places.I have had my crosshairs ,bow sights and bumper on them[nearly, they like the road to walk on] One of theses days that tag will come,most of my draws are around 2 % .goodluck

i
Old 07-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. What state gives away the most permits a year?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to Alberta or British Columbia and hire a guide. You buy your permit over the counter at both.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Spike

i shot a nelson bighorn in my home state of nevada. area 211north. has some of the best odds. but as a nonresident the odds suck no matter where you put in.
i spotted 9 lambs and ewes from the vally floor and 1 nice ram. i spent the rest of the day getting above them. and when i had a shot, i shot the wrong ram. it was a clean kill and an awesome hunt but i shot a VERY small ram. i thought he was the big one.it was a great trip and some of the best country i have ever hunted. maybe someday i will get the chance to hunt them again.if i do i will spend a little more time looking at the horns and not so much time shaking .if you think "buck fever" is bad ram fever just about killed me.
here is a picture of the little guy.
Attached Thumbnails Bighorn Sheep Questions-jeepsteer-build-018.jpg