Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Maine Moose Hunt..finally got picked...Help!!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Spike

Smile Maine Moose Hunt..finally got picked...Help!!

I finally caught the moose lottery for district 27. It took years and i am so excited. I do need help! First if anyone is familiar with district 27, i would appreciate some advise on which logging trails to hunt?

also, I have never hunted by drive and shoot method. Rut will be over when i hunt Oct.10-16 and calling will be worthless. Anyone have any tips on how to hunt moose in Maine?
I hunt moose every other year in Quebec but we stand hunt.
I need some help with the hunting techniques used in Maine..
Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats and the best of luck...

Now go out and play your state's Lottery
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rut will be over when i hunt Oct.10-16 and calling will be worthless. Anyone have any tips on how to hunt moose in Maine?
Get a cow call first of all as the moose surely will be still rutting. The coffee can trick will not work however. By using a cow call a bull will think a cow is out there wanting it. It took me and a friend 30 minutes last year to get one. The idea during this hunt is to try and draw a bull out to what he thinks is a cow waiting for him. After all most bulls will be with a cow so it will be some what difficult to draw him out. But they do in fact come out to one.

Find an old cutting around 2 to 3 years old and do some calling. Keep an eye out for movement as they can be quiet and most likely will not answer a call during this time of hunting. It will be difficult to find some decent cuttings in your area. You may want to be checking out around Edmunds and Marion Townships. Those areas will most likely have the better cuttings. Good Luck to you.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 07-23-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

I've got them to respond to bull grunts in NH and VT in the October seasons. I have a coffe can but find I can do it with my mouth just as well. Cow calls too. Mainly though just find the clearcuts they're feeding in and watch them at dawn and dusk.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by warrior_joe
Rut will be over when i hunt Oct.10-16 and calling will be worthless.
I would think they'd still be rutting plenty. Moose in Alaska are still rutting during that time and our rut is much earlier than yours. Get a copy of the DVD "Love, Thunder, and Bull 2" and one of the fiberglass Bull Magnet moose calls. You'll be able to make bull and cow calls in no time.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a coffe can but find I can do it with my mouth just as well. Cow calls too. Mainly though just find the clearcuts they're feeding in and watch them at dawn and dusk.
I am afraid you will not find many clearcuts in this area if you find any at all. The coffee can may work for you but most have found very little success with it during the October hunt up here. In part because folks out there trying to get photos of them. They have called them out before this hunt and moose are getting used to it by then. As stated earlier the best call at this time of year is a cow call.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Well if they're call shy I can see that he'll need a different tactic.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by warrior_joe
I finally caught the moose lottery for district 27. It took years and i am so excited. I do need help! First if anyone is familiar with district 27, i would appreciate some advise on which logging trails to hunt?

also, I have never hunted by drive and shoot method. Rut will be over when i hunt Oct.10-16 and calling will be worthless. Anyone have any tips on how to hunt moose in Maine?
I hunt moose every other year in Quebec but we stand hunt.
I need some help with the hunting techniques used in Maine..
Thanks

What outfit do you hunt with in Quebec? I need some leads for a good Quebec moose hunt.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Spike

Smile

Joe, congratulations on getting drawn!

Not real familiar with District 27 myself, but I'll poke around and see if some local know-how might be willing to help out.

Will you have a chance to do some preseason scouting? Are you doing this yourselves or considering a guided hunt?

I was looking through some old threads about moose hunting and came across this that you started back in 2005. Some darn good info here.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-...oose-hunt.html

Liked this idea about using a decoy :

quote :
" And somethig I just started to piddle with is a cow decoy. Montana Decoy makes one that folds up into my pack, and with a little practice sets up and takes down in no-time ,and it looks great. Only tried it a few times last year, but got good response from it,,,,,unfortunatally it was from really small bulls. Didn't have a chance to use it on anything big to see how they would react, but I know it is going to work like a charm. Not too many people doing this yet that I have talked to, but a black sheet hung over a couple of downed trees works too. Had a friend take a nice bull doing this a couple of years ago."

The black sheet idea's got me thinking.

- Jay

Last edited by hurricane1; 07-25-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Spike

Yes , I am excited and fortunate to be able to hunt this years Maine Moose Hunt. Thanks all for the support. Any tips on Hunting methods used in Maine, specific areas in zone 27 where i should hunt, anything you may want to add to help me will be appreciated. I have sent away for a logging road map. How do you go about finding out when the mills cut the trees and where? We will go down a few days before the season to scout. I am stoked!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.