Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Maine Moose Hunt..finally got picked...Help!!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I can get the time I will run my topo scout for you and send something by e-mail for you to check out. Try Google Earth to get some idea of the turrain you will be hunting in. Cuttings near a swamp that has a ridge nearby should help you out as long as the cutting is not to old or to new. Two and three year old cuttings are ideal for looking for moose sign. They also normally hold them nearby. But the rut is the rut and moose can travel long distances over night. Good luck to you.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:11 AM
Spike

Default finding the moose ideas

Originally Posted by warrior_joe
Yes , I am excited and fortunate to be able to hunt this years Maine Moose Hunt. Thanks all for the support. Any tips on Hunting methods used in Maine, specific areas in zone 27 where i should hunt, anything you may want to add to help me will be appreciated. I have sent away for a logging road map. How do you go about finding out when the mills cut the trees and where? We will go down a few days before the season to scout. I am stoked!!
Joe,

Three - four days of scouting should help bigtime. The last couple of days be out to your honeyhole locations about 45 min before first light. Similarly, be there just before sunst. Try some calling.

Logging truck drivers know heaps. Be down at the corner store about 5 am and buy 'em a cup of coffee. Talk to as many locals as you can. Find the local fish and game club and give those folks a call. Talk with area farmers. Make up a letter introducing yourself that MIGHT convince someone to let you hunt on their posted/permission only land. Look up the local Maine Forest Service people.

Good luck and keep us posted.

- Jay
Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
When I can get the time I will run my topo scout for you and send something by e-mail for you to check out. Try Google Earth to get some idea of the turrain you will be hunting in. Cuttings near a swamp that has a ridge nearby should help you out as long as the cutting is not to old or to new. Two and three year old cuttings are ideal for looking for moose sign. They also normally hold them nearby. But the rut is the rut and moose can travel long distances over night. Good luck to you.
I would appreciate it pete!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you a resident or non-resident? And how many years did it take?

We applied every year for a long and finally gave up.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Spike

I am a non resident. It took 3 years ..lucky!
Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a non resident. It took 3 years ..lucky!
Wow!!! That's awesome. I think you really should play the lottery
Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Spike

Joe -- how did you make out? I just drew a resident zone 27 Bull permit for October 2012. I've hunted successfully in zone 4 twice and also once in zone 1... both sparsely populated. Any tips would be appreciated!