Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

12 pts in Colo Deer

Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Spike

Default 12 pts in Colo Deer

Anybody got a recommendation of where to go for a great muley? I don't want to waste my pts. If I can't get into a great area, I would like to try to buy a landowner permit.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hello, welcome to huntingnet. How are you? Who are you?

After 12 years of collecting points, you have no idea at the 11th hour where you might put in for? And you want us to come up with that magical place where you won't "waste" your points? I mean no disrespect, but you can't expect much from a post like that. Do you have some units in mind? Surely you have done some research and have some idea. What area of the state do you have in mind? What weapon (bow, muzzy, rifle)?

Give us something more to go on and you might get some response. As is, all I can say is:

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Spike

Your right. I'm looking at a few units but it always seems they add 2pts needed each year and I only get one. I thought I might get a second opinion from somebody. The units I was trying to get into the last couple of years has had a bad winter kill, around Eagle and Gunnison county. Now I'm looking at units 61 or 44. Want to go last season with rifle

Last edited by Okiecat; 03-28-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

With 12 pts you should be able to draw I would think the best rifle season for the best unit. I'll check and get back to ya.

You might appreciate Eastmans' members research section in the back of each issue for subscribers, or the Huntin Fool.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would pick 61 way before 44. The statistics page on the Colorado DOW says that 3 years ago, there were over 10,000 deer in unit 44. Last year, they estimated less than 3000! Sounds like they had a serious die off too. 61 has not had that problem from what I have heard. In unit 44, the deer can only go so low. In 61, they can keep going down in harder winters. I might hunt 44, but not with 12 points.

I wouldn't hesitate to consider 3rd rifle for 61 because this year is it later, and should include some of the rut. The thing you have to consider for 4th season on any unit, is whether or not the deer will be down on private by then.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Cool

Originally Posted by txhunter58
I would pick 61 way before 44. The statistics page on the Colorado DOW says that 3 years ago, there were over 10,000 deer in unit 44. Last year, they estimated less than 3000! Sounds like they had a serious die off too. 61 has not had that problem from what I have heard. In unit 44, the deer can only go so low. In 61, they can keep going down in harder winters. I might hunt 44, but not with 12 points.

I wouldn't hesitate to consider 3rd rifle for 61 because this year is it later, and should include some of the rut. The thing you have to consider for 4th season on any unit, is whether or not the deer will be down on private by then.
This is why ...after a lifetime of being above 10K for hunting I switched a couple of years back to lower...7-8K elevations. Private Land Tags.....Friend owns the place, no charge! (nope, he doesn't sell em...just family and a couple of friends)
Dan
Dan
Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Spike

Yea txhunter I knew there was a big winter kill around 44. I agree with you on the 61. Even on the last hunt if its snowing there will always be the big ones waiting till the last chance to get down, right??? I'm going to look at the lowest elev. still in 61 and see what that is. If there is cover they might stay there awhile!!! I've also heard 61 has alot of cover. I would figure it to be oakbrush. Hard to glass in.

Last edited by Okiecat; 03-28-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

The plus for the third season this year is that some of the boys should be out of the brush chasing females.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seasons are a week later this year I believe....so last years 4th season will be during this years 3rd season....etc...
Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Spike

Ya I'd opt for unit 61. 21 has been getting too much pub and now is over-rated for the points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.