Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

black bear bullet

Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Spike

Default black bear bullet

I am heading to maine to hunt black bear over bait. I am planning on using a 35 whelen and am looking at either 225 gr nosler accubonds or 225 gr Trophy bonded bear claws. Anyone have any experience with these on bear over bait. Will one perform better than the other at close range? Any info greatly appreciated thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

IME most black bears rib cages are no bigger than a whitetails, and have slightly thicker hides and fat layers, Id say feral hogs of equal size are built much more solid ,and most can be cleanly taken w/ a 243. Id say just about 35 whelen load, delivered to the vitals, would drop just about any bear on its booty, especially at 50Yds or less
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use whatever bullet shoots best in the Whelan. It will flatten any bear that walks this planet with authority.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

have a 30-30? great cartridge for bear over bait...

big slow bullet...
Old 03-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

You won't need a premium bullet for a black bear.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Spike

I am going this spring and I am going to use my shotgun/rifle barrel with slugs....
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Spike

i dont have any experience with that cal. but my friend took a brown bear with a .300ultra mag and went clean through the bear and he stoped dead in his tracks. he was bout 90 or so yards
Old 03-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Spike

thanks for the info
I am just a little unsure of what I want some things i read say use any soft point bullet you would use for deer and others say you should use premium bonded bullets Maybe I am looking into this too much. I know I want something that is going to expand relatively quick yet still exit for maximum blood loss (in case tracking is necessary) Does anyone have experience with the trophy bonded bear claw Do they expand relatively fast or are they too "tough" for bear or is the accubond or partition a better bullet for hunting over bait thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll be fine with whatever you choose. Just put the bullet in the right spot...and you'll have your bear.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

I dont know about black bears but I believe bigger mature boar hogs are as tough as the bears ive seen or tougher. The one that shoots the best is the one id use if i were you. Shot placement is more important than bullet type in this situation.