Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Unit CO. 77,78, or 53 or 54

Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Spike

Default Unit CO. 77,78, or 53 or 54

I just discovered this forum and it looks like a wealth of info.

My dad and I have been hunting unit 24 in the white river national forest for the past six years. We have done pretty well on the elk, but are really tired of the crowds and we also would like to hunt mulies in the same unit and the population in 24 has really taken a hit.

I have done some research on 77 and 78, and it looks as though the deer harvest is almost 50% in 2008, with the bull harvest at about 16% which is slightly higher than 24.

I am leaning towards 77 because it is almost entirely wilderness, and I think we can get back in far enough on horse back to get away from a majority of the hunters.

I am also researching unit 53 and 54 with the same criteria.

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks, Kelly
Old 03-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

77 is one of those units that can be affected in a big way if it snows. I have been there after a big early snow and found that most of the game had left early for winter range. You will see lots of camps and mule strings along the Divide (near the border of unit 76).
Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Can we go? I'll buy the hay and wife will surely want to cook. Time to bust a ten yr dry spell for us.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Unit 78 has some awesome spots for deer and elk. If you can get up into some of those remote spots before the snow comes it's well worth the effort. But if it snows heavy it can be a very rough experience indeed. I'd opt for muzzleloader deer in 78 and 1st rifle for elk. Just the cream of the crop on time frames for those hunts. Good Luck
Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

The one year I hunted in 77 there was a lot of people (most from out of state) and having horses can make a big difference.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Spike

Thanks for you input guys. I think we have decided to go back to unit 24 but in the third season. We hunted third season in 08 and only saw 2 hunters the entire week.

Thanks again, Kelly