Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Hunting in Utah

Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Awesome! So the entire Manti La Sal NF is huntable?... Sounds good to me. There's are supposedly 350 miles of ATV trails back behind me in the NF. Would I be able to get an animal out of there with that or are we not allowed to take the ATV's off the trail? We're definitely getting ATV's as Manti is only 5 miles up the road and they'll be our primary grocery getters.
Yes it is legal to hunt all NF lands, BLM, and state ground as well.

One thing to keep in mind that you probably already know is that the regulations on NF land are federal regulations, not state regs, and are usually pretty standard from state to state and NF to NF. Having said that it is NOT legal to go off of established trails and roads to recover animals on NF lands in Utah.

Every year it's important to get an updated map from the forest service with all the color coded roads and trails so you know which are open to ATV's and which are not. Their main concern is collisions on certain roads and they enforce it so make sure you know.

Some trails are only open to ATV's (of course motorcycles as well but closed to larger vehicles) so it is certainly good to have ATV's in some situations.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Utah recently passed a law that in towns smaller than a certain population (can't remember right now the population number) ATV's can be used on public, paved roads. They just have to pass a vehicle safety inspection meaning basically you have to add some blinkers and a horn. Manti I'm almost sure would qualify so you certainly could use them as a grocery getter.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 01-11-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Rather be huntin, i have a group of friends that hunt in a party and have drawn the central region for rifle every year for the last 5 years. they like to hunt as often as possible and don't bother applying for the southern region.i hunted the S.region a lot back in the 90's,98 being my last yr.what do you think my chances are for myself and my wife drawing for M/L,cenral 1st pick S.E 2nd? we would like to make this a yearly event if possible..thanks in advance.
Both the ML Central and ML S.E. were all gone in the draw last year so it's possbile you won't draw either although I would say your odds are pretty good that you'll get one. There are not a lot of ML hunters that walk away from the draw without a tag although it does happen. I will say if you don't get the Central region with your first choice chances are slim you'll get SE with your 2nd. They do all the 1 choice draws first for each region/weapon. If there are tags left then they do 2nd choices draws and so on.

If you want to make sure you get a tag you could also do ML Northern as your 3rd choice and maybe even add Rifle Northern as a 4th.

Just so you are aware last year there were leftover tags from the draw on:

Archery Deer Statewide - 2,396 left
ML and Rifle Northern - 6,250 left

However those tags sold very fast once going OTC. If you want an OTC deer tag this year (if you don't draw of course) make sure you are up early and online buying one on the first day they are available.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 01-11-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

i don't want to high jack your post SWTHOMAS but after reading every single post i am glad to hunt were i live ..moose ,caribou ,bear and deer all i have to do is buy a hunting licence ..and go hunting ..but good luck with your venture ...
Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never hunted the northern region,my understandind if thier is very little public land ?.also my feeling is this year a lot of people won't be hunting out of state due to the continual decline in the economy,especially here in ca.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
Yes it is legal to hunt all NF lands, BLM, and state ground as well.

One thing to keep in mind that you probably already know is that the regulations on NF land are federal regulations, not state regs, and are usually pretty standard from state to state and NF to NF. Having said that it is NOT legal to go off of established trails and roads to recover animals on NF lands in Utah.

Every year it's important to get an updated map from the forest service with all the color coded roads and trails so you know which are open to ATV's and which are not. Their main concern is collisions on certain roads and they enforce it so make sure you know.

Some trails are only open to ATV's (of course motorcycles as well but closed to larger vehicles) so it is certainly good to have ATV's in some situations.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Utah recently passed a law that in towns smaller than a certain population (can't remember right now the population number) ATV's can be used on public, paved roads. They just have to pass a vehicle safety inspection meaning basically you have to add some blinkers and a horn. Manti I'm almost sure would qualify so you certainly could use them as a grocery getter.
Awesome! Again, thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57
i don't want to high jack your post SWTHOMAS but after reading every single post i am glad to hunt were i live ..moose ,caribou ,bear and deer all i have to do is buy a hunting licence ..and go hunting ..but good luck with your venture ...
I hear ya. Must be nice.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57
That would be nice. Unfortunately hunting is very popular around here and populations in Utah are growing very rapidly. There is just more demand than supply right now.