Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Boots for September Elk Hunt?

Old 06-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Boots for September Elk Hunt?

I' ve booked an elk/muley hunt into the Absaroka-Beartooth region for 3rd week in September. I have good Rockies for colder weather but I need advice for lightweight warmer footwear. I checked previous posts and got some ideas (Asolos FSN 95, Danner Radical 45, Dunham Green Mt. 6000, for example). These are hikers, however, and I' m concerned about durability. Since I don' t know the terrain, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:15 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Boots for September Elk Hunt?

What altitude are you going to be hunting at? You are likely going to be in cold weather by the third week of September and likely snow.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

You may or may not be in snow by then in that area leaning towards lots of snow. Have you looked at the Cabelas mountain hunter boots or any of their " Elk" rated boots. I like a pair of lightweight hunting boots and a set of " quality" Pac boots . On the hunting boot go no more than 400 grams with the insulation..I try to limit it to 200 grams and never had cold feet.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:33 AM

I just purchased a pair of LaCrosse sneakers!! Actually they are like the pack boots, low top, waterproof (and tested) grip very well, very comfortable and warm. I like the light weight as they feel like tennis shoes on your feet but I would go with something higher like 13" or 16" for those creek crossings. Just my opion.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

To answer yer question, take off yer shoes an' socks an' look et yer feet. You got good arches? The top of yer foot, is it high an' curved or is it more like a duck' s? Yer toes, are they long an' flat across the balls of yer feet or are they stubby with a narrow ball? Is the heel narrow or thick? Overall, do yer feet resemble ice skates or scuba flippers? Tell me thet stuff, an' I' ll tell you a good boot fer yer type of feets.

I got long, narrow at the heel feet that resemble ducks feet. My toes are like little gear shifters from an' old stepside truck. My ankles and heels are boney and my arches high. I need a boot that won' t slip at the heel, and laces to the toe to make up for the flat, wide arches and ball. Support in this area is critical or my feet move around inside the boot like a the clanger on a bell. Lace to toe boots like the Danner Elk Hunters are my choice. I also prefer a goodyear welt construction with an' air bob sole. Skip those glued on soles that are all over the Cabelas catalog. Also skip suede and nylon. I like 4 grams of insulation, cause there ain' t nuthin' worser than cold feet when yer tryin' to kill elk. Buy good socks too, and wear an' undersock to reduce friction on yer foot and wick away moisture. And don' t wear the same socks day after day. Your tent mates will appreciate that.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

I can vouch for the asolo boots you mention.
Have worked well for me in a range of conditions.
Agree with B.J. make sure you match your boot to your foot type, and don' t skimp on socks.
I have the narrow feet with high arches, has taken many trials to strike the right boot.
The asolos were still comfortable after 10 days solid hunting a month ago.
I reckon gaiters are a good thing. I wear two pair. Short neoprene ones to keep water out of my boots when doing a short wade over a stream, and then knee length gaiters over the top to stop shingle and sticks from going down the top of your boots, also give your shins a bit of padding.
Good luck with your hunt.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:45 AM

I am with Tim. The Asolo 95 does it all.
Last year I backpacked 12 miles into Wyoming on a deer hunt with 45 pound pack.
The next four days I scrambled over 10,000 foot mountains with no trails, over shale rock slides, boulders, through creeks, up and down steep hills, you name it.
These boots never failed me. Plenty of support, solid comfort, no hot spots on my feet, no blisters. I would not classify these boots as just a hiker.
I have used these boots exclusively on deer and elk hunts for the last 5 years on , many hunts of the type described above in the mountains of Idaho and Wyoming in all weather down to 25 degrees (if it gets colder than that or there is snow I switch to my Vasque Albertas, which I really don' t like that well), and in the deserts of Wyoming and Utah in 80 degree weather on antelope hunts.
I am still wearing the same pair of these tough boots,(if I washed them they would still almost look like new), they are due for a resole however after 5 years of hard use.
Believe me, if they fit your feet you can' t go wrong. And no I don' t own stock in the company. I have tried Rockys (not enough support and wear out too fast) Danners (too heavy and didn' t fit my foot well) and Vasque (good but they hurt around the ankles) and the Asolo' s are just better in my experience.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:55 AM

Note to Tim Buma,
You mentioned using gaitors to keep water out of your boots when crossing creeks, I bet in your country there are lots of small creeks to cross.
Tim have you ever seen a product call Wiggys light weight wader. They have an internet site wiggys.com.
They sell a pair of lightweight waders that are great for wading creeks. They weight like 7 ozs and have a little carry sack. You just throw them in your pack or day pack. Whey you come to a creek pull them out, throw them over your boot tie them at the top (they go up to the top of your thigh) and off you go. Get on the other side, pull them off shake them off put them back in the carry pouch and off you go nice and dry.
I use them a ton because when backpacking in for scouting or hunts there will often be several stream crossing before you can get to your destination.
Anyway just a heads up in case you have any interest in checking them out.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe a dumb question but I still have to ask. Why do so many people suggest taking a pair of pac boots into the mountains with them. I am not a full time mountain person by any means, but I have wondered. Especially during an early season hunt. I also have a pair of Danner Elk hunters and pair of Cabela Canada hunters by Meindl. I have to say that I am biased toward Pac Boots, and have never really liked any of them.

Quick Reply: Boots for September Elk Hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.