Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Boots for September Elk Hunt?

Old 06-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Boots for September Elk Hunt?

Robert, I understand what you are saying. About the weather getting bad and all early. Although I have never been in a heavy mountain snowfall, I have much experience with snow coming from the snow belt area of New York. But what I am saying is that for me my regular boots can handle the snow, keep my feet dry, and are confortable to wallk in. If I had to do a lot of walking (like in the mountains on an elk hunt), I can' t imagine wearing pac boots if my regular boots would work. Even when the snow is too deep, I through on my snow shoes with my regular boots and go. I don' t want to sound like a mister know it all or anything cause I' m not. I know my territory but not yours. I' m just trying to understand.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-09-2003, 09:50 AM

MassHntr,
I' m no expert by any means, but I have the Danner Radical 45s and I love them. They' ve gone on two Colorado elk hunts and will make their third this fall. I have hunted in both the middle of september and the middle of october. I also bring a pair of 10" high gore tex boots with 200 grams thinsulate in case it snows or gets cold (Danner Sequoias specifically). I don' t mean to imply that I' m stuck on Danners, it' s just that I happen to own two pairs and they work really well. I, personally, am not a fan of heavily insulated boots. After being in the Radicals, wearing heavily insulated boots feels like I' ve got snowshoes on and I hate it. I walk extensively when I hunt elk and therefore I don' t have a problem with my feet getting cold at all no matter what the temperature. I can not strongly enough say how much I love the Danner Radicals. They are as light as a pair of sneakers and have decent traction. My feet stay dry through dew and small steams. I can walk all day and my feet feel fine at the end of the day. In short, they feel very similar to cross training sports shoes, only they have gore tex, better traction and come up higher on your ankles. They are as light as the cross trainers I am wearing right now.
Just one guys opinion.

Bill the Dog
Old 06-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use to live in those hills areas of western ny ,pa & also be up in there adarondacs mtns some .

was 94 here the othr day in the valley, then the high of 45* the next day at, 6000 Ft. & the nite before last everything abover 7,000ft was covered in white again out my back windows some small mtns, melted quick after the clouds lifted& the sun came out

it has snowed in august, end of lots , if not about anytime at the higher elevations or a 40- 50 degree sudden tep drop even in the lowlands here sometimes.

But yep i agree i take 2 pair of boots , leaving one back at camp of course[:-]

Old 06-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

snowbelt yep i be born in buffalo, ny lived there almost 30yrs& canada etc also some -
Mtn snows& weather make buffaloNys seem like the tropics.

and wind like the [>:] & ground blizzards in lower elevations. fairly commen... buffalaonians would think it was the blizzard of 77 all over again.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:47 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I think the reason for the pac boot suggestion would be more temperature related than snow related. I spent 10 days in the Bridger Teton Wilderness area in mid September and along with the two foot of snow 10-15 below zero every morning. We were up fairly high. Leather just doesn' t cut it in those temps. The newer pac boots by lacrosse are surprisingly comfortable and lightweight. The technology there has come a long ways.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt the BT Wilderness. Cain' t remember those temps ever happening prior to December. 10 to 15 ABOVE zero is possible, not regular however in September. I spect yer FOSAACT, or from Californy.

I bring pacs for snow. Leather will get soaked, an' you have to pull on froze, wet boots ever mornin' . Hate huntin' in deep snow, though, an' will wait a day or so for the early snows to melt rather than trudge around with noise makers on my feet.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good Point Noway...i have had a couple of Danner Boots and I still could not get them ever to fit exactly right ....