Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

3 bears-What gun?

Old 11-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Spike

Sounds like the choice of weapons is way down the list of things needed right now. Lots of actual research is where you need to start.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Spike

Use your Rigby for the brownies. The Rigby is a great caliber for brown bear. You just don't realize how tough they are until you see one high shouldered 3 times at 125 yards with a 375 and still on it's feet. Many will go down with a marginal gun, but it's the one that doesn't go down that makes you wish you had more gun at your shoulder.

This bear fell to one single well placed shot from a 375 Ruger loaded with 270 grain TSX. The other bear on the trip was a die hard.
Attached Thumbnails 3 bears-What gun?-bbear3.jpg  

Last edited by Justice4all; 11-02-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

To the point Dave Hughes post, I have plenty of time for researching outfitters. I'm planning my blackbear hunt in either North Carolina or Minnesota for 2010, if I can't find an outfitter in either state, I have friends with hunting ground in those states that can hook me up. I'm leaning that way anyway to keep the cost down and maximize my hunt. As far as the others go, my 2011 MIGHT be the BC grizz, but I'm already planning for a Bighorn sheep and Montana Antelope in 2011, so that'd be a pretty full plate, so it'll probably 2012 before I take down a grizz... Plenty of time to find an outfitter.

Salukipv1, I waited this long because I haven't ever had the time to go, and haven't had a significant other that would have let me even if I did! lol. Sneaking off to arkansas for hogs or to Texas for whitetail was one thing, but a weeklong bear hunt in another country was out of the question... UNTIL NOW! haha

My goal isn't to just take the 3bears, I'd like to add a little sentiment to the hunts, for example using the same gun for all 3. I'm a handgunner, so I'm predispositioned to wanting to use my wheel guns for these hunts. I know I can take down the trio with a rifle, but there's a lot of class in doing it all with a handgun.