Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hey guys please help....Outfitter....

Old 10-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default Hey guys please help....Outfitter....

my family is looking for a place to take 6 people elk hunting in 2010. We're looking for a place that is relatively easy hunting and looking for something that isn't a crazy price range. a couple of the guys going are on somewhat of a budget. We want the opportunity to get a shot at a bull. If anyone has some great suggestions let me know. i really appreciate your time.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Spike

Default still looking for some help

please let me know
Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Try looking through http://www.huntguide.com/ for information and pricing. There is also a page with article and reviews which I think are helpfull...http://www.huntguide.com/huntingreviews.htm

good luck
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

a reasonable hunt, for just any bull elk? I'd look to Colorado....

you guys can even put together DIY elk hunt....with 6 or 7 of you guys, do some research, everyone can bring a piece of the puzzle.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree. Colorado has the largest elk herd in the lower 48 and plenty of public hunting land. We have gone out DIY 4 years in a row and taken 10 elk...some on private and some on pub lands.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 10-28-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are set on a guided elk hunt here in CO. I'd give these guys a shot. I have never used them but had a chance to meet with the guides and see the place when I was on a DIY moose hunt a month ago. Good people and excellent accomodations. North Park, Walden, CO ....Silver Spur Outfitters.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dtgocats
my family is looking for a place to take 6 people elk hunting in 2010. We're looking for a place that is relatively easy hunting and looking for something that isn't a crazy price range. a couple of the guys going are on somewhat of a budget. We want the opportunity to get a shot at a bull. If anyone has some great suggestions let me know. i really appreciate your time.
"Easy hunting" and "not a crazy price range" and "opportunity to shoot a bull elk" don't normally all fit together in the same thought sequence. Easy hunting usually means low elevation, low elevation usually means private lands, and private land elk hunting usually means lots of $$$. I'm not sure how to help you.

One thought -- and it relates to a kind of hunting that I am uninformed about, so others will need to confirm and/or provide additional details -- may be a late season hunt in an area that welcomes hunters thinning out the elk on a wintering yard? A late season hunt for migrating elk at the transition point between a mountain range and a elk refuge, such as might be found near Yellowstone? Just speculations.

If you do a DIY hunt on public lands be mindful of the fact that elk are at different elevations at different times of the year. Before snows drive them down, elk like to stay at relatively high elevations -- for example at or just below treeline in Colorado. As heavy snows occur in the higher elevations as the season progresses, the elk will migrate down the mountain. Additionally, take note that much public land is situated in the higher elevations and much of the lower elevations are associated with private lands. Thus, as the season progresses the elk will migrate from public lands to private lands. Usually you have to pay lots of money to hunt elk on private lands, so if you are planning to keep your costs down, this MAY steer you towards an early season hunt.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Alsatian. Hunting at altitude presents its own problems especially for someone who lives at or near sea level. Nothing easy about it. We have hunted the past 4 years mostly mid october second rifle season in Colorado and the elk we got are all between 8500 and 11,500 feet. If you can get out 3rd rifle when there are still OTC tags available then you might catch them lower but you can expect lots of snow to make it even more difficult.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Spike

Default thanks guys.

appreciate the help and i agree with you. just dealing with some old farts
Old 10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest a DIY private land tresspass hunt. This one gets lots of good press: http://www.rockymountainhunting.com/

I also have a friend that has 2000 acres near Glenwood springs that I have hunted personally. They have a nice cabin with all the comforts but you have to hunt on your own. Very good elk hunting. Decent deer. 6 people would be the top end of the number of hunters that you hunt comfortably on this property. For the trespass hunt and cabin they charge about $2500. If interested, shoot me a line

Last edited by txhunter58; 10-28-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.