Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

need info on elk in flat tops

Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Spike

Default need info on elk in flat tops

Hunting in the flat tops for the first time this year and could sure use some general info. on the area. Will be bringing our own horses for first rifle season, but haven't decided on specific area. Prefer low pressure and will be coming from east I-70. Scouted south of flat tops near deep lake, but disappointed in road condition to the WA. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Spike

I just got done archery hunting in unit 231 near Sheriff Reservoir, it was very depressing. It snowed on the last day of hunting and I hiked all around and could find no fresh sign in the snow, and I couldn't get any of the elk to bugle. Also with talking with other camp sites not many elk were taken out. I think that area is over hunted so I'm actually looking for another place to hunt next year, so good luck
Old 09-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Spike

Default thanks batmanbeyond

Thank you for your information. That's a little further north than what I was planning on hunting but had been looking at trails leaving from Stillwater Reservoir. Curious as to how much hunting pressure will be in that area during first rifle season. Thanks again!