Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I tried calling a moose...

Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks everyone!!
Yes I am pumped all up and all that is for sure.. I am hoping to see this bruser during my hunt but who knows he could be 20 miles away by then. Although I am thinking he will be hanging around the area. There has been quite a bit of signs as well as an old cutting on a ridge in back of there..
I do have a few more places where I have been seeing moose in this spring and early summer when the bugs were driving them out of the woods.. Right now they have all headed back into the swamps as the weather has changed again up here. It was running around 30 degrees at night and this morning it was 68 degrees out and supposed to hit around 80 degrees today.. Hopefully it will be decent hunting weather when i get to try for them..
Yeah! It is intense when you hear them grunting back and all the bushes being banged into as they come thrashing out. The one in the pic I never bothered any as I watched him walk back into the woods again. So I am hoping he will hang around for a couple more weeks for me..
Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Spike

I thought I'd share an experience calling in moose we had. We were rifle elk hunting here in Colorado in an area we had never hunted before. 5 rifle hunters and a friend of mine who bow hunted elk and knew how to call elk. We found a real nice big meadow with a small island of trees in the middle. The 5 of us hunters surrounded the meadow in likely places and we put Rob the bowhunter in the middle in that island. At first light he began cow calling and bugling for us. In less than an hour, we had 3 bull moose come storming into that meadow looking for a fight with whatever bull elk had the nerve to come into their territory. One of them actually walked within 20 feet of one of our guys. So close we thought we might have to shoot the moose to protect our friend! Little did we know when we planned that trip that the moose had taken over that part of the forest. We never saw one elk or even an elk track that hunt, but we sure learned how to call in the moose if we ever get a tag!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

I had a simular experience last week using a "bull Hooker" elk cow call. It was pretty exciting.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have an Indian friend that is 67 yrs. old and I let him use a couple of my things for calling in moose. His season started yesterday and I told him to try a little bit of the scent I will be using on my hunt. I explained how to put it out and all that about calling ect.. Well he set the scent out Weds. and shot a moose yesterday. He did have a very hard time with it though. The moose circled him and went out on a point. So he walked down towards the point and the moose presented the shot. The moose then ran towards the water and collasped right in the water of all places. So he went and called his son while him and his wife grab thier canoe and set out for it. They had to put a couple of life jackets on it's head to keep the head afloat the best they could while they took it into shallower water to dress it. His son showed up with another canoe and helped him out. They ended up taking and rolling the moose into his son's canoe and paddled it out. All in all he shot it a 5pm and didn't get home until 2:30am this morning. I am glad he was able to get one! But, what a lot of work it was for it! I will post a pic of his moose tomorrow when I get home from work..It was a 6 pointer around 600lbs dressed. He never actually wieghed it in so it is a guess..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-26-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Moose can be beasts, they inhabit some wet, tough terrain and getting them out can be a real challenge to say the least. I have been quilty of more then a few got caught up in the chases and never gave it a thought to what it would take to get one out if I did shoot one. Such a case happened 4 years ago when i was dropped a mature bull (1000+lb on the hoof) in the knarl. Needless to say it took 2 of us, chainsaws, 4 sharp knives, several nicks/bruises and 8 hours to pack him out/back to camp. I'd say I'll never do that again but am leaving for moose on weds so won't promise anything...lol. Nothing beats hunting moose in the rut, I am anticipating we will hit it on this trip and with any luck will have another story to tell.

Best of luck on your moose hunt.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you skeeter and good luck on your hunt as well!!

Here is a couple of pics of my friends moose. Unfortunately they had started to skin it just before I got there. I am glad though that he got one even though it was a very hard way to get it..

One happy hunter!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-26-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you Phil. Your friend has some great eats hanging there!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very cool, just be careful he might think your a sexy cow!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia
Very cool, just be careful he might think your a sexy cow!
I want him to! That way he can get an arrow threw his heart! LOL I will be using a Bowtech constitution on him as my sub-permitee will be packing a 30-06 for back up if needed or in case i can not get close enough...
Old 10-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tried calling them in again this morning..10-5-09 as my hunt will start next week..
This is the one that came out this time in another area of my zone.. I deffinately would be shooting this one if it comes around then..

another pic of him...

The last pic of him to share.. It is a littled blurred as I was nervous when he started his gating and was getting ready to charge. He would of given me a great shot with my bow too.. But only 7 more days and I get to try it out..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-05-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.