Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

SW Colorado archery season weather

Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default SW Colorado archery season weather

What is the weather usually like around Pagosa Springs during the archery season (sept 18-27) at elevations of 8500 to 12000 ft? My son-in-law and i will be hunting elk and mule deer during this time of year for the first time. What might the extremes and the average be? I'm looking to buy a sleeping bag for backpacking in several miles. I hunted 2nd rifle season 2 years ago and the temps were 16 to 75 degrees. Thanks for any help.
Kevin.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Mid 20's at nite, 65 in the afternoon. could be a snow storm, but it would be gone in a day. CB
Old 08-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

September can be very miserable as far as temperature change. 75 and dry one minute and 32 and wet snows the next. It's the coldest I have ever been in Colorado as far as getting caught out in the extreme temperature change. I would take plenty of layers just in case and good rain gear along with two pairs of boots to change into. Colorado Bob is right the snow will be gone by noon if the sun comes out. But for the most part it's a great time to enjoy colorado.

And for Bow hunting I perfer the wet. Good luck to you.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad i asked. Thats a little colder than I was thinking it would be. I'll change my search for a lightweight sleeping bag to lower than +30. I felt the temp range change in october from teens to 70's a couple years ago. Even later in the morning when it was 60's i could find shaded areas with frost still visible.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by onebigelk
What is the weather usually like around Pagosa Springs during the archery season (sept 18-27) at elevations of 8500 to 12000 ft? My son-in-law and i will be hunting elk and mule deer during this time of year for the first time. What might the extremes and the average be? I'm looking to buy a sleeping bag for backpacking in several miles. I hunted 2nd rifle season 2 years ago and the temps were 16 to 75 degrees. Thanks for any help.
Kevin.

Like stated before expect the total gambit of weather. I've seen rain, snow, flash floods, and dry dusty conditions all in the same week. Temperature extremes don't usually last as long, but getting caught in a high mountain snow storm with only a rain jacket can be a very dangerous situation. Worst time I ever had was on a July scouting trip and had a hail storm roll in. Cold and miserable atv ride that was back to the truck. Have also seen foot of snow on a labor day backpack trip at 10,000 feet.

When I usually hunt this season keeping things dry was a big problem some years with the rain and the dew/frost in the mornings. I went to uninsulated gortex and have never looked back. Works for rain and light jacket by itself. Having additional layers to take off or put on as the days get warmer / colder is the key. Having two pairs of boots is nice, but not as easy if your going to backpack in, so I would get a good pair of gortex boots.
We found that on of the pack fans was nice for drying gear out, but also not the best idea if your packing in.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Silver Wolf, good advice that I will heed. I thought I was going to be able to get by with my lighter weight hiking cammo shoes, but I will be buying a better lighter insulated waterproof boot. Something with good ankle support also. The layers is how I was planning to go. Does anyone have any tricks or advice on how to keep clothing as low human odor as possible especially spending several days out. I seem to perspire more than most people I know. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Spike

Plus, I've seen some of the most fearsome lightning and rainstorms ever during archery season.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

All good advice. Colorado weather can go from one extreme to the next a couple of times in one day. On the scents, I use a lot of odor eliminating spray. Some people like to store their cloths with pine branches or hang them up in the trees. I also change cloths as soon as I get back in camp so my hunting cloths doesn't pick up other oders. Try not to sweat too much. I found that if I pace myself at a slower pace it helps. Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Every one else has prettu much covered the weather. Raining, snowing, sleeting one minute and hot as hell the next minute.

Does anyone have any tricks or advice on how to keep clothing as low human odor as possible especially spending several days out.
Forget about staying scent free. It isn't going to happen if you are hiking around in the mountains. You are likely going to sweating your arse off even if you are just in a T-shirt and cotton pants.

If you find a wallow or fresh urine or droppings stomp around in it and smear it on your boots.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for everyone's adivice.