Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hy-altitude advantage

Old 08-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hy-altitude advantage

Anyone tried this stuff out?

http://www.wildernessathlete.com/altitude_advantage.html
Old 08-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yup. Helps me out, I wouldn't really plan on hunting high and hard without it anymore.

I've never really looked into prescript meds for altitude but I hear they exist too.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was born and raised near 9500 ft. so it sounds a little strange to me that a dose of Vitamin c and e plus something called ginkbo biloba and a dash of grape seed oil will do much for ya. If in fact that works, go to the local grocery store and you can buy a whole shopping bag full for a few bucks.

My advise would be to come early and get acclimated to it. It works best to spend a few days walking around up here.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Come on now SKB....they mention the Sherpas using it? Doesn't that do it for ya?
Has nothing to do with the fact that they are born, live and die at extreme altitude....it's all in the herbs man!!!

But like I said on another post...if you "believe" it helps you, then by gawd it helps you!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never done well with altitude, even when I lived at 5000 feet, going 10-14,000 feet would still get me sick.

I live at 500' though now.

Staying a night at 5000 etc..can help, but pretty simply if youre the type that doesn't adjust well quickly you'll be hurting, I guess it really just is genetic pre disposition to altitude.

It's suppose to aid in quicker adjusting and oxygen absorption I believe.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I type this I have a crew of 7 guys doing a major machine project for me here in Denver. They are from South Carolina, they huff and puff at even the slightest stenuous labor. I laugh.
I tell them to take a drive up the hill and do a bit of walking around...apparently they are not pre-diposed to the altitude .
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Spike

Tried a few other items that they make in montana last year but it appears that they
are out of business i hate that to cause i really liked there stuff
Old 08-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a similar product called altitude adjustment made by Sun country, inc that does a good job for me.

As far as "herbs" working by the placebo effect, there is probably some truth to that in some people. As a doctor, you pretty much have to prove to me that a particular herb has a real effect before I recommend it. I used to take Diamox, the drug for altitude sickness and it works well too, but makes you pee a lot (it is a diuretic) and makes any carbonated beverage taste nasty.

Just because something is a herb doesn't make it safer or work more "naturally" in my book either. After all, cocaine and oleander leaves are "natural" but they will both kill you.

However, Ginko and ginseng are both herbs with scientifically proven track records of have a medicinal effect in most people. I always have two questions before I recommend or take any herbal product: is it safe and does it work. For me and many like me this product is safe and effective. So believe what you want, but for those of us who suffer with altitude adjusment, it is a great product.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Talking to a lady I know about going elk hunting in Colorado, she told me she used to get sick and have headaches at high elevations. She says she eats carrots on planes and when she is in Colorado and she does a lot better. Now I don't know anything about this, but I don't see any reason she wouldn't be telling me the truth. Has anyone heard anything about this? I may try it, what would I have to loose?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

I never smoked and I trek up and down some steep slopes here in Pa for a month before I go out west. 9800 is about as high as we go and I never had any problems yet.