Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO elk hunt

Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Definitely if you can spend a night at 5k will help.

Wilderness athlete makes an altitude pack I've used inthe past, and its hard to believe it's helped, but altitude kicks my butt, makes me sick, was very worried for a elk hunt at 9-11k but I did rather fine. Went to wyoming last year, and felt almost no symptoms that first night at 7k, and coming from 190ft or whatever...

I haven't researched prescription meds too well, but I would recommend the altitude pack from wilderness athlete.
http://www.wildernessathlete.com/products.html
it's the hy-altitude

best of luck!

oh and def take it slow that first day! you're revved up and wanna work hard and get it done, but putting yourself in the sick bed the next day is not good, 2 avg days in the field are better than 1 kick butt followed by 1 resting all day in bed.

drink plenty of water, fruits/veges are your friends. being in shape never hurts, endurance!!

I'd bring a bottle of ibuprophen too, I've began using that the day I'll get there for the headaches, seems to help...

Last edited by salukipv1; 08-11-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I live at 118' and have hunted 3 years in a row anywhere from 9000 to 11500. The first 2 years we stayed at 7200 in the valley and went by truck to the high country. I had a pretty good dose of sickness the first year. my friend has a cabin at 9300 feet and I feel I do better now since i stay high all day and all night. I usually get a slight headache the first day or two but am OK after that. i took my wife out there to work on the cabin and she got sick her first day and spent the whole day in bed with the splitting headache, puking and muscle aches. I had a resident from out there tell me to take an aspirine and rolaid a couple of times a day and that is what the locals tell their friends who visit.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Jakes..

Having lived in the flats of Texas my whole life...and gone to Colorado and the mountains therein 100's of times if not in the 1000's....I would say not to worry too much about altitude sickness. Just know that it can happen and depending on the severity what you should do about it. Otherwise quit worrying about it. You are not attempting to summit Everest!!!
I have never had it that I know of. Never seen anyone I was with have anything more that a regular headache that some ibuprofen can't handle. Drink lots of water. And drink lots of beer and whiskey if it suits ya!!! We do. I have been up when I was in pretty good condition and when I was a fat slob, and walked until I got tired or was where I wanted to be. Never felt ill of it. Only difference I can see for those of us from the warmer regions. Low oxygen means you have to stop frequently on uphill treks to catch your breath. But the fact that it's not 105 degrees means a fat man can walk all day if he paces it right! Always a trade off.

So unless you have health issues of some kind, quit worrying about stuff like altitude sickness and worry about the important things....like how the hell am I gonna get this big muther out of here now that I killed it!!! Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RedRiverHntr
Having lived in the flats of Texas my whole life...and gone to Colorado and the mountains therein 100's of times if not in the 1000's....I would say not to worry too much about altitude sickness. Just know that it can happen and depending on the severity what you should do about it. Otherwise quit worrying about it. You are not attempting to summit Everest!!!
I have never had it that I know of. Never seen anyone I was with have anything more that a regular headache that some ibuprofen can't handle. Drink lots of water. And drink lots of beer and whiskey if it suits ya!!! We do. I have been up when I was in pretty good condition and when I was a fat slob, and walked until I got tired or was where I wanted to be. Never felt ill of it. Only difference I can see for those of us from the warmer regions. Low oxygen means you have to stop frequently on uphill treks to catch your breath. But the fact that it's not 105 degrees means a fat man can walk all day if he paces it right! Always a trade off.

So unless you have health issues of some kind, quit worrying about stuff like altitude sickness and worry about the important things....like how the hell am I gonna get this big muther out of here now that I killed it!!! Good luck and have fun.
Spoken like a true rough, tough, Texan. People die every year from altitude sickness. It's no joke. I live here and know many of my hunting buddies that have found themselves in the middle of it, just changing a thousand feet of elevation. If it were me I would do as others have said stay hydrated, get here a couple days early, I wouldn't hunt hard for the first two days. If you get past that you got it made. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being is shape will help your wind, but it will not prevent altitude sickness if you are so inclined. Won't know until you get there. Here is what I have learned:

It will help if you get there at least a day in advance and stay at moderate altitude (6-7000 ft)

Rolaids will definately help. Part of the problem with altitude is it causes your system to become too acid and antacids help this problem.

Avoid caffeine and alcohol for at least 3 to 4 days until you adjust.

Drink, drink, drink.

Yes, diamox will prevent the symtoms, but is a diuretic (makes you pee more) so you have to drink even more, and it makes any carbonated beverage taste NASTY.

I used to take Diamox until I discovered ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT from Sun Country inc. Order a couple of packets and start them a couple of days before you leave. I don't have to take Diamox any more since I started using them. Here is a link. All I can say is it works for me.

http://www.altitude-adjustment.com/
Old 08-13-2009, 05:36 AM

I myself will be out in CO from the 11th to the 23rd chasing elk with my bow as well. This is my 7th season and I myself have NEVER had altitude sickness. After speking to my mom who is a retired doc, she said that some people get altitude/motion sickness and some people dont. I agree with the potass and iron and being in VERY good cardio shape. I go to the HIGH county and start most my hunts at 8,500'-9,000' and frequently end up at 10,500'-11,500'. You should also try shooting your bow after your heart rate is above 130BPM. I have seen fist hand a lot of people including myself not be prepared for the shot after running up and hill and not being able to close the deal cause they where not used to shooting while breathing hard.

EH

Last edited by eh899; 08-13-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 AM

Default I also live at 300' in maryland and spend most my summer on the coast at sea level of

I also live at 300' in maryland and spend most my summer on the coast at sea level of
Originally Posted by eh899
I myself wiil b out in CO from the 11th to the 23rd chasing elk with my bow as well. This is my 7th season and I myself have NEVER had altitude sickness. After speking to my mom who is a retired doc, she said that some people get altitude/motion sickness and some people dont. I agree with the potass and iron and being in VERY good cardio shape. I go to the HIGH county and start most my hunts at 8,500'-9,000' and frequently end up at 10,500'-11,500'. You should also try shooting your bow after your hear rate is above 130BPM. I have seen fist hand a lot of people including myself not be prepared for the shot after running up and hill and not being bale to close the deal cause they where not used to shooting while breathing hard.

EH
Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't been to the Mountains in Colorado or anywhere out west. I did got to Peru last year where my wife's family is from originally. My wife had gotten a perscription of something for us to take for the altitude. We started taking when we got to Lima which is down near the cost for a couple days before we went up into the Andes to the towsn where her parents were from. We were as high as about 18,000 in some places. I never got sick while on the perscription, but we hiked up above the town one day and I have never been so out of breath in my life and I'm in pretty good shape. I don't remember what the perscription was but it worked. I don't think I would have a problem at 10,000 or below.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

It won't kill you, but it can make you sick. You have to drink water all day long. You want your pee to be clear. If it isn't drink more. I live at about 800 foot elevation, and go to coloardo every summer. I've climbed a few 14,000+ footers in the last few years. Expect to be out of breath (even if you're in great shape) and expect a headache for at least the first day, after that it should wear off.
-Jake
Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Upon further review, you probably should stay home. Colorado and the mountains therein are way too dangerous for us mere mortals!!!

Information and education is just good sense. But to suggest that altitude sickness is something so common as to be prevalent is absurd. Statistically I would suggest you have a better chance of being in a car wreck getting there, but I bet you don't raise your level of insurance in advance?

A group of 10 overweight, underconditioned guys (and no tougher than the average fellow) from near sea level go up every fall like they have for the last 7 years. Set up a tent village at 10k feet. Drink way too much alcohol....sleep way too little....and walk more than our lungs allow. Occasional headache and such, but no more than could be expected to have happened back home under these conditions. My grandfather just quit going to the mountains every summer, where he still chopped his own firewood well into his 90's....but only when he died a couple of summers ago.

I have never heard so many Nancy-Boys in my life. I am ashamed for some of you. Should make sure and mention in one these that we should not shoot anything larger than a .264 caliber weapon too. As anything bigger is just for show and too much gun to handle.

Like I said, if you have health issues...are elderly or infirmed...then take the necessary precautions. Otherwise, drink lots of water and have fun. Contrary to the belief of some, you aren't going to Nepal.

Just got back a couple of weeks ago from summer trip to Co. Cabin at 9k feet and did some hiking/fishing up around 13k. Lived to tell about it with no special breathing apparatus or with anyone suffering unduly. My English Bulldog pants a little more at that elevation, but he too survived no worse for wear.

Here's hoping you make it back alive from this most dangerous of endeavors my friend. I will keep you in my prayers!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.