Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

mountain lion

Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Default mountain lion

Any suggestions on a good mt. lion hunt? State, outfitter, anything?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: mountain lion

When I last checked the record books(couple years ago), etc... Idaho overwhelmingly was represented...I forget which county in ID, but I think I'd look there first...

Old 02-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks. When I think of Idaho though, I think of snow. Lottsa snow. Deep, wet, heavy, snowshoe snow. I'm in my 50's and first (and hopefully the last) time I was on snowshoes was in Maine a few years ago. Though I walk/jog 30+ min. a day, I don't want to try and kill myself. I want to "enjoy" the hunt, not see if I can "endure" the hunt. Though I'm sure they grow some "BIG" lions there. Would be nice. (be nice to be young again, too)

Old 02-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Plenty of cats here in NV. Check out Nevada High Desert Outfitters or Nevada Outfitters...both offer lion hunts. NevadaOutfitterscharges a $1,500 kill fee on top of the $2,500 hunt price but they are still cheaper than NHDO. I've spoken with both outfitters about Muley hunts for this year and they seem like really good guys. Check them out.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are plenty of big cats in mtns of western Wyoming. Check with some people around DuBois Wy and/or Cody.
The last 2 years hunting Elk in the Absaroka range out there, we've crossed pretty big fresh mtn. lion tracks from the day or night before we've gone through areas next to dark heavy timber. Not exactly what we want to see, as it keeps you looking up and around more for them and grizzlies than you'd like to.
Better go with outfitter that has plenty of experience and good dogs. One of the fellows we talked with who runs a hotel in DuBois does and seemed to be careful of when to follow and when not to follow big cats. I've heard they will try to draw their pursuers into tight spots where they can see and have the advantage. Guys and dogs can get in trouble that ends bad, if not careful. That's all I know.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Spike

If a big cat is what you are looking for, limited draw areas are the more pronounced for book animals that being said .. I would look at the north western part of Montana, they just changed the rules a few years ago to draw and there are a lot of cats, any outfitter has access to dogs. That being said I would look into New Mexico (W B Outfitters) as a guide I have had clients tell me that they are a good company with good references,, in other states I would look at I think its TOD'S Guideing out of Arizona I have them wrote down in my adress book but I dont know if its Todds with one d or two, one of my clients named Mike said he killed a large tom there and saw three or four more in the tree, The main thing about looking into lion hunts is you have to bee prepared to hike in all conditions from blistering heat too deep snow and freezing tempratures...Be in shape outfitters dont like cry babies on cat hunts.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy just went to arizona got a huge cat 1 something or another from record,how ever they are judged.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Spike

A lot of guys that chase BIG cats have had dogs chewed up,, any who say that they haven't never ran a big cat.. that has been challenged year after year to learn and know his escape routes.. any outfitter that you go with check, the editorials on that outfitter as well as any references that they offer if you are willing to do some home work you will be gratefully rewarded in your efforts at the end of your hunt..
Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious,what do you guys use to shot these cats with?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think a .30-30 would be the perfect cartridge to shoot one out of a tree. Big slow bullet, 170grs. It'll be a close shot....from a tree...

Quick Reply: mountain lion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.