Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.270 ammo for elk?

Old 12-27-2008, 05:10 AM

Default RE: .270 ammo for elk?

270 Winchester , 140 grain Nosler Accubond in Federal premium ammunition. Zero at 280 yards for elk.Great combination.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

This works for me.
http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...le.aspx?id=237
Old 12-29-2008, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

This works for me.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=237
To each his own, and I am glad it works for you, but I would not personally use the nosler ballistic tip for elk. Here is their description of it:

The Nosler Ballistic Tip is specially designed for those long-range shots. Whether the targets are varmints, predators or medium game, this fast, flat-shooting round will find its mark. The color-coded polycarbonate tip provides easy identification and prevents deformation in the magazine. Take advantage of wind-defying performance and immediate energy transfer with this versatile bullet.

Even they say they open up a lot and are intended for medium game

Old 12-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

I am a big fan of the Winchester XP3 FailSafe.

They shoot great out of my .270 (your mileage may very), and have always put the animal on the ground. Some were passthrough, some were not.

Regardless of what ammo you pick, in a .270 Win, I would want a bullet on the heavier side for elk, something in the range of 140 - 150 gr. Not quite as flat shooting as a 130 gr, but with a .270 and elk, you will probably not want to take those really long range shots anyway.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

This works for me.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=237
To each his own, and I am glad it works for you, but I would not personally use the nosler ballistic tip for elk. Here is their description of it:

The Nosler Ballistic Tip is specially designed for those long-range shots. Whether the targets are varmints, predators or medium game, this fast, flat-shooting round will find its mark. The color-coded polycarbonate tip provides easy identification and prevents deformation in the magazine. Take advantage of wind-defying performance and immediate energy transfer with this versatile bullet.

Even they say they open up a lot and are intended for medium game
When you take the time and have patience to make sure your shot placement is correct (non compromising),
meaning broad side shots only, you should have no problem using most any bullet.
I agree 100% with you if I were to rely on hitting a shoulder or can't control my gun for a proper kill shot.
For that matter I would just bump up to my .30-06 and a 180 grain bullet, but I really see no need to,
I'll just be patient and take a proper shot, the only bone I may hit is a rib and that doesn't worry me.
Broad side shots rule and animals can't get any deader (if "deader" is a word).

It's like vehicles, some people want the cute little gas saving vehicles, some want big diesels and some want Corvettes. They will all get you to work, but which ones the best? I would choose a helicopter though.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

I am a big fan of the Winchester XP3 FailSafe.

They shoot great out of my .270 (your mileage may very), and have always put the animal on the ground. Some were passthrough, some were not.

Regardless of what ammo you pick, in a .270 Win, I would want a bullet on the heavier side for elk, something in the range of 140 - 150 gr. Not quite as flat shooting as a 130 gr, but with a .270 and elk, you will probably not want to take those really long range shots anyway.
To date I have tried 7 or 8 different ammo's in the past out of my Rem. Mtn. Rifle and have two other friends do the same.
We have come to the same conclusion that the .270 is best suited with 130 gr. bullets as the accuracy just isn't there with larger bullets. One buddy has a Weatherby (not sure of his model) and the other is a Winchester 70. Don't ask me, as it puzzles us all, but we stick with 130 gr to maintain accuracy. It's funny how every gun has it's own personality?
They shoot different bullets than I do because their guns won't hold any accuracy with my chosen load. Crazy!

As I mentioned in the other reply above, if I feel the need to have a heavier bullet, I would bump up to my .30-06.
130 gr is plenty for a broad side shot, not hitting a shoulder.