Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I Hope This Aint Too Dumn Of A Question.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I Hope This Aint Too Dumn Of A Question.

What Champlain Islandersaid! That was my approach last year while mulie hunting
Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

how's the saying go? no dumb questions? only dumb people? haha.

Tell you what i've noticed here in chicago.... some days 40 are freezing, and some days its 20 and toasty.

Wind, and Sun certainly lend a hand in that.

Also I truly think the body adjusts to the seasons....live in AZ for a year and it won't be as hot as the day you moved there....likewise colder climates after a few months 20 isn't that cold.

For the most part I feel you can dress for the cold...regardless. So while one guy may be wearing less then you, you both can be just as warm.

You may want a facemask...full face. and more layers...

I'd reccomend something to wick away sweat from your body, and certainly layering and paying attention to your energy youre expending....if youre working hard you're gonna sweat, and the key is to open up that jacket, or take it off before this....

Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Good advice from all. I hunt 2nd rifle for Mule Deer up around Kremmling/Steamboat. Most of the time I'm freezing my butt off in the AM and by noon I'm trying hard not to sweat. Occasionally we get a storm in. I do wear a light to mid weight long john. It offers some insulation and wicks moisture. I've worn everything from jeans (not blue) & cargos to carhartt overalls (uninsulated) and have been fine. I have a pair of heavy wool bibs and a pair of gortex bibs that I always take just in case the weather gets real nasty. I haven't used them yet.

Couple things I have noticed: 1) I hunt around 8 - 9K ft. It seems that the higher up you go the more extream the weather can be and expecially above 9K ft. 2) It seems that the hardest thing is balancing how to keep from sweating when you are moving, especially up hill(whichthere is a lot of)vs. how to stay warm when you stop and spot/glass.

I find that I usually end up with the light long johns, pants, a heavy shirt and a layer of fleece or just two layers of fleace. Good boots (I prefer 200 grams), wool sox, Liners, hat, gloves are a given. I take a heavier hat, gloves and coat and can pack them with me if the weather looks bad.

Take a good variety (summer to artic)with you and pack what you need for the day's weather.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

(3) Choose wool or synthetic fleece for middle and outer layers. Wool and synthetic fleece retains much warmth when wet. Cotton and goose down, by contrast, retain very little insulation value when wet.
Can't add much more value, as the above responses have it generally covered (layers and synthetics)...just want to re-iterate the above point.

Don't wear denim. If it does rain/snow, etc and they get wet, you will be at minimum, cold and miserable, and possibly much worse. Do thousands of guys hunt the rockies with denim? Sure...but there are better performing options.

Not only does cotton not retain heat when wet, it will actually sap heat from your body faster. Plus, heavy denim takes longer than just about any other substance on earth to dry out, IME.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: alagnak
Not only does cotton not retain heat when wet, it will actually sap heat from your body faster. Plus, heavy denim takes longer than just about any other substance on earth to dry out, IME.
This is an important point. It is very possible you will get wet elk hunting. It is a good idea to use clothes that dry out quickly. On my one hunt I was in a hotel nightly, and I found that my wool clothes and polypropylene inner layer dried out completely over night in normal 72 degree temperature in the hotel room. Cotton would not have dried out over night. If you are hunting from a camp, you aren't going to have access to a clothes dryer, and wool/synthetics are going to dry out better than cotton overnight in the camp situation.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

For really cold weather the best change in gear I made was picking up a Neck Gaitor a few years ago. I keep it, a stocking cap, and fleece gloves in my heavy coat pockets. Having the gaitor to cover my neck and lower part of my head makes a huge difference in heat retention. They are cheap, and I won't go out in the fall and winter without one.