Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question about pig hunting with dogs

Old 01-22-2002, 05:39 PM

Default Question about pig hunting with dogs

i have hunted pig , but a friend arranged a weekend for me to go hunting with a rancher who is going to use dogs on this hog hunt, my question is what do i need to know about this kind of hunt, i have always hunted pig by walk and stalk, never with dogs this is a first.

How far should i expect to fallow these dogs?
Will i be able to keep up with these dogs?
How much food should i pack with me?
How much water should i pack with me?
Or do i need to pack? ( I always use a day pack when deer or pig hunting)
When hunting pig by myself i have distance between me and the pig, what kind of distance are we looking at here when hunting with dogs?
Lets just say i have to pack up, what should i take in my pack.

I like to go into this with some knowledge so what ever advice is given would be great i want this to work out because this is a new connection.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about pig hunting with dogs

You should repost this in the West list so some of the Hawaii pig hunters can respond. Most pig hunting done here is with dogs. I don't have any dogs, and have never hunted with them myself. I guess that's why I have yet to stick one with my bow.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

I hope you are real fit, as Pig Hunting with dogs, means a lot of running, if you want to make a quick and humane kill.
What sort of country are you hunting in?
Usually you will have two types of dog. Finder/Bailer and Holder. Some dogs will do both of these duties.
The Finder usually locates the pig and chases him till he stops to fight, then works on bailing him up (Keeping him in one spot.) This dog will usually be very vocal, so the hunter can pinpoint where the bail-up is. Holders will usually rush in when they hear the bail-up, they will hold the pig by Ears, Snout,leg etc.
Important for the hunter to get there quick and dispatch the pig with knife or gun.
With knife the method I use is to garb the pigs tail first, while the holders have him up the front end (Usually Ears and snout.)Then grab one back leg and lift off the ground. On three legs the pigs does not have good balance, and can't pull away as easy. Then reach under his belly and grab a front leg, with your other arm, give the front leg a good sharp pull, and the pig will flip on his back. keep hold of back leg, get hold of your knife and stick him hard between the chin and top of brisket. Angle your knifedown into the heart/lungs region, the pig will die almost instantly.
If you are going to shoot rather than knife. Approach real quietly, prefferably the pig will not see you, and look for a claer shot at the head/neck, important to watch out for your dogs. Usually if I'm shooting I won't use a holder, just finder/bailer.
I don't carry a pack of any sort, so that I can move quick through the scrub, without getting hung-up. Down here you can drink water in most places. But can't see why you couldn't carry a water bottle on your belt. Hope you enjoy your hunt, it's an awesome sport, much harder physically than most people imagine.

SOUTHERN MAN.
"GO HARD OR STAY HOME"
Old 01-22-2002, 09:47 PM

bryc, normally the chase with the dogs is fairly short. The worst part is if the dogs and pigs get into a fight and end up in thick brush. I have seen this type of pig hunting and was not impressed. This was in your state, when I use to live there. I much preferred hunting pigs and any other game with the old spot and stalk method. If you decide to hunt with the dogs becareful. Calif does or did have regulations about hunting at night. Happy and safe hunting.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:42 AM

Being a full time Guide using dogs and not using dogs I will attest that there is much more preparation time, and leg work at killing a boar with dogs. The Bar chases I have usually run anywhere from a mile to 4-5 miles. figure in the terrain and the adrenalin at hearing a big boar ripping at your dogs and the thrill is unmatched. hunting boar without dogs is much easier from a physiacl aspect. boar have poor eyesight from 50 yards and out. getting a shot at a boar from long distances is as easy as shooting a cow in a field from 200 yards away. If they can tsee ya or smell ya it's easy pickens.

I have never used catch dogs..maybe that is why some of the races are shorter...But dont knock it...it is a blast. Plus getting with in feet of a ticked off boar is a rush anyday!
]
www.hogguide.net
Old 01-23-2002, 10:13 PM
usa
Fork Horn

bryc, you are probably going to hunt from a pickup or 4 wheeler, they'll turn the dogs loose and when they find some pigs you will either be placed where you can maybe get a shot or they will drive to get ahead of the dogs and ambush the pigs, in my limited california pig hunting experience (3 pigs) 1 was with dogs and 2 were spot and stalk, the pigs that we ran with the dogs chose to stand and fight the dogs , all except one herd of very young ones. actually this way was much less physical than spot and stalk and the shots were fairly easy. the dogs go into the thick scrub and do most of the work. good hunting usahunter
Old 01-24-2002, 12:09 AM

bryc ,you are in for a treat. i have a husband /wife team that hunt we me. thats all they want to do. they have there dogs and they go. we have learned one thing . hogs are smart they seem to know that the dogs are chasing them for you. and (them more than me )have found that alot of times the hogs will bay and wait until you get there . then they want you. there catch dog wears a kevlar vest if that gives you any ideas . he's a pit bull that i wouldnt want on my a**.huntin em in arkansas cant that much different other than the terrain. i havent done it yet but thinkin about it , they catch them live . hogtie them. good luck and always know where a tree is.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:18 PM

Bryc, here in hawaii most pig hunting is done with dogs. Most places down here are very thick. There are two popular methods: Blocking trails with a gun (block-trail) & Using a knife (Dog&knife).

When you block trail, you get to a main pig trail ahead of the dogs and wait with your gun. Once the dogs get into the area, alot of the pigs will sence them and flee from the area. Sometimes the dogs will be right behind them barking. You need to be carefull while doing this so that you don't shoot any dogs. Occasionally an idiot will mistake a dog for a pig and shoot it. Or sometimes a dog will be behind the pig or in the way and you might not know it and the dog may accidentally get hit by a bullet. Always be sure that any dogs are a safe distance away from the bullet's path.
Blocking tail can be a very good method.

Then you have baying dogs which stop the pig and bark at it giving you time to get close and shoot it.

Dog and knife is our favorite method. To do this, you need "grabbers", or holder, whatever you want to call them. These dogs consist of variouse breeds. Most are muts containing some pit in them. The part-pit gives them "lock-jaw". They grab the pig and don't let go. Some dogs will bark and some don't. Hopefully you hear barking and get there to see a bunch of dogs holding the pig for you. Then You get to it and finish it off. If the pig is giving you problems, you could always cut the back leg at a joint. This may cause the leg to break. (WARNING: pig hunting with dog and knife can be very graphic.) Then flip it over onto it's side or back. It's all a matter of personnal preference on where you cut. Some people like this, some people like that. You can stab right behind the shoulder, it both armpits, or in the throat.

When you shoot the pig with a gun it is a good Idea to shoot for the head because of the pad. I assume you know what the pad is since you pig hunt.

Old 01-27-2002, 04:23 PM

we always just catch the hog and tie up the legs.a ladys stockins or the leg of a pair of pantyhose works best to tie them with.that way if it is a good fat one you can stick it.if it is not a good hog you can take it home and faten it up.or cut the boars and release them for another day.
we do most of our hunts after dark,so we can't take a gun with us.(against the law).
it is fast,fourious and a lot of fun.if you haven't tried it go for it,please don't condem those that do.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.