Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I want a Range Finder.????

Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM

Default RE: I want a Range Finder.????

Nope. He's right. I know you've had Trigonometry. Just use Pythagorean theorem. A**2 + B**2 = C**2

C = the distance you measure with range finder.
A = height your rangefinder is at in the tree.
B = horizontal distance to target. True ballistic range.

So if your 24 feet in the tree thats 8 yards.

(8)*(8) + B**2 = (40)*(40)
So B**2 = 1600 - 64
Therefore B = square root of 1536 or B = 39.19 yards.

With my bow thats not enough to worry about.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

Not sure where you are getting your numbers.....and I don't have my chart at hand, but I can guarantee you that sitting in stand 20 feet, let alone 25,in the air and the animal is at 40 yards, it is more like a 32 yard shot with a bow. And might not be a different pin, but you better hold on a different spot or you just missed.
LOL not even close. Like you said, opinions are worth what you pay for them.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you pay close attention to the commercials for the ARC range finders they are WAY up in either a tree or on a bucket ladder of a truck and taking shots at targets that are very close. Like 60 feet up in the air shooting at a target that is 30 yards away according to a standard range finder.

That calculates out to a 22 yard shot. 8 yards difference.

As mentioned you have to be at extreme angles for it to make much difference.

If you were a more normal 24 feet up in the air and you had the same 22 yards of horizontal distance between you and the animal, solving the equation in reverse would mean that you would get a reading of 23.75 (I assume the range finder would read 24 yards). Again - 24 vs. 22 yards is probably not going to change your shot much.

In the commercials where they show the big differences they never say how far up in the air they are. I doubt you are ever going to be that far up in the air or at an extreme enough angle for it to really matter. You would have tofeel that you are pretty much looking straightdown on the animal for it to be enough of a distance to matter.

If you go to the extreme lets say you are looking straightdown at an animal beneath you. If you are 24feet up a tree and try to use your range finder it wouldsay you are 8 yards away when the true horizontal distance is zero. Of course myrange finder wouldn'tgive you a reading because it needs to be 11 yards away from the target to give a reading.

Also the farther you get from the target the less the distance you are above the target matters. I sit on a hill and hunt out of a permanent blind on my deer hunting property. The hill is probably 90 feet above everything around it. I have a few spots that I know the range of where I generally see a few animals. One of those spots is 125 yards away using my standard range finder. The other is 185 yards away.

If I was using an ARC rangefinder instead of 125 yards I would get a reading of 121 yards and instead of 185 yards I would get a reading of 182 yards.

Not much of a difference.

Oh well, it sounds like a neat feature, but in reality it isn't that useful.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Well no doubt all these mathematicians can tell you exactly what to do on paper.
I just know what happens when you actually get your feet off the ground and shoot at an animal that isn't sitting on your computer with a bow.

But experience doesn't count for anything. Just listen to the ones that know. They never miss because they have Pythagorean on their side.

Try it. See what happens. ON A LIVE ANIMAL.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Why do you make fun of math? This is purely a math problem. Sure, a guy can show you something cool on TV. . .but to not apply the math skills you worked so hard in high school to obtain is well !@^%&@^*

On a real LIVE animal, uhhh yep, I checked. Math still applies!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

Well no doubt all these mathematicians can tell you exactly what to do on paper.
I just know what happens when you actually get your feet off the ground and shoot at an animal that isn't sitting on your computer with a bow.

But experience doesn't count for anything. Just listen to the ones that know. They never miss because they have Pythagorean on their side.

Try it. See what happens. ON A LIVE ANIMAL.
"waaaaahhhh!!! Waaaahhhhhh!!!!! These guys proved me wrong but i'm too prideful to admit it! Waaaahhhh!!!! Waaaaaahhhhh!!!!"

That's what your posts translates to. Grow up and be a man. Admit you made a mistake.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe anyone that claims to be exempt from the laws of physics,and that doesn't understand geometry.Unless you are shooting at extreme angles,the ARC feature is basically useless for a rifle hunter.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Spike

Bushnell plain and simple