Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I want a Range Finder.????

Old 11-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I want a Range Finder.????

I own a Leica and it works great most of the time. Get a rainy snowy day, might as well not carry the thing. Wont read anyways. However, I have family memberswho uses a Swarovski. By far a better rangefinder. It works far better than the Leica in those conditions. Unless your in a heavy rain or heavy snows then it will not read. If the conditions are good, either one works just fine past 1000 yards no problem. If I could trade in my Leica rangefinder I would switch to the Swarovski.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: spaniel

Yeah, the local I was hunting with had a chuckle when I pulled out the chart and started calculating and turret twisting. He wasn't laughing anymore when the elk dropped.

Yep, I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to shooting...or anything else for that matter. I hope I make it sound every bit as complex as it really is so everyone doesn't go out and try it thinking it is simple.
I love hearing that! My shooting leaves some to be desired compared to yours but I too like to maximize and make the most out of my equipment. I'm a geek too when it comes to reading the manual and learning how to use my equipment. I say, why spend the money on it if your not going to get everything you can out of it.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Nikon Monarch 1200 and am very happy with it.

I probably don't use it nearly to it's capabilities as I try to keep all my shots at 300 yards or less and so I know to aim about 4" high with my 7mm Mag at 300 yards. The longest actual shots I've taken at animals are 2 coyotes that I shot at 256 and 251yardsand I just held a couple inches high for them and dropped them. I do a lot of checking yardages so I know how far shots would be if an animal did show up in a spot so I would be able to take the shot without using the range finder first.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have the Leupold RXII, I leave in TBR rifle, it displays the actual range and the corrected range at different spots as well as the inclination angle. Once you know how to use it, and that requires getting out and playing with it to figure out how it works while reading the manual it is a no brainer. About the only thing I don't care for about it is that it is not made in the USA. Price point vs quality though it is hard to beat. Head to head against my buddies Bushnell it is faster getting on target and displaying range info, optically definitely clearer the TBR or ARC is a nice feature but not really necessary unless shooting past 300 yds or 200 yds with a fairly severe angle. Like has been said once the ranges start to get past 500-600 yds performance starts to go down, that's not a knock on the tool but the technology. If it was me and I had over $ 1k to spend on a range finder I think I would go with the Burris or Bushnell laser scope and eliminate the need for a separate range finder.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Leopold RXII. Its good but i wouldnt say its great, it only works some of the time. I had trouble with it this year elk hunting, my buddies Leica always seemed to work while three of us with Leopolds couldnt get a reading. My friend swears by his Nikon. Im not saying the Leopold is bad i use it all the time, but Its not the best. I guess it depends on your application of it, and how much your willing to spend.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

I like my Nikon 1200 MG. It will range to over 1200 yards. It will range game to 1000 yards or so. I have done it.

ARC is unneeded to me. Do the math. It requires fairly steep angles, long ranges and non-flat shooting calibers to show value. If you adding that you can guess the ARC factor with some basic knowledge of cosine, it really looks like a total waste.

The Nikon and the Leica LRF are known to be quality long range rangefinders in their price range.

Can the Bushnell range a deer over 400 yards? If so, why does Bushnell show 400 as their spec?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tested Bushnell, Nikon, Leica, and Swaro rangefinders. None ranged out to their advertised range. Like car mpg, the manufacturer puts the best case scenario. What I have found is that the higher the average cost of a brand's rangefinder the closer to this number the actual, real-world capability will be.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use a Nikon 440 and wish i bought the 800 model. on game animals i can only range out to around 380 yards. i don't intend to shoot that distance on a regular basis but i still like to know my ranges. like someone else mentioned on here, i tend to range different focal points from my treestand. this way i don't have to worry about ranging an animal when the time comes, i already know the range. most range finders maximum range finding capabilities are on large reflective "targets". the distance drastically reduces on non reflective game animals.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: spaniel

I have tested Bushnell, Nikon, Leica, and Swaro rangefinders. None ranged out to their advertised range. Like car mpg, the manufacturer puts the best case scenario. What I have found is that the higher the average cost of a brand's rangefinder the closer to this number the actual, real-world capability will be.

I have heard this, but my Nikon 1200 will exceed 1200 yards pretty easily, if I hold it still and the target is big enough. I have ranged a fence post with a reflective sign at 1300+. It was not easy. I have ranged rock outcropings at ~1300. Not bad for a 1200 Nikon.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

for scopes,LEUPOLD is best.

for rangefinders, i like BUSHNELL.

I GOT ONE CHEAP OFF OF E-BAY.

IT WAS SECOND HAND AND I GOT IT FOR 80 DOLLARS.

IT LISTED AT 199 DOLLARS.

if its windy, they dont work good.

if raining, same.

if you dont hold it very still, wrong reading.

if it says 1500 yds, expect it to only work out to 800 yds.

Quick Reply: I want a Range Finder.????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.