Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear huntings different...No?

Old 11-23-2008, 09:10 PM

Default RE: Bear huntings different...No?

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: muley699

ORIGINAL: ShowboatHK

Thanks for being cool about this!

I know I can always just hunt something else but the hunter inside me thinks I'm an idiot for being unwilling to hunt anything that I am willing to eat.

Thanks for the input.
I'm not a fan of the baiting nonsense
No worries. There is always "that" guy.

Come try to kill a bear in MN without bait. Spot and stock a bear through a MN swamp, rigggggght
I was pointing out that perhaps the 'method' of kill is what made him not want to hunt bear. I was attempting to say that not all bear hunting is sitting over a bait pile, some of it is real hunting.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know I can always just hunt something else but the hunter inside me thinks I'm an idiot for being unwilling to hunt anything that I am willing to eat.

Thanks for the input.

Come try to kill a bear in MN without bait. Spot and stock a bear through a MN swamp, rigggggght
I was pointing out that perhaps the 'method' of kill is what made him not want to hunt bear. I was attempting to say that not all bear hunting is sitting over a bait pile, some of it is real hunting.
If it was possible to spot and stock, where I live...I would. It'd be a hell of a lot easier

And likely, a higher success rate.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the input.

Baiting bear Isn't real hunting?? I've heard It all. It's nothing like feeding/baiting deer. Huge difference! Like Kyle said, come and try It in Northern Minnesota once. Your spot and stalk method will not work here, you can't hardly see 10 yards In front of your nose there. Out west or out In open country spot and stalk can be done with out a problem. I could of shot 2 different bear out In Idaho and In Montana elk hunting, no bear tag. Man was It exciting doing the sneak on them. I wish we were able to do that here In Mn but the terrain don't allow for It. It's real hunting, trust me!![>:]
Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Thanks for the input.

Baiting bear Isn't real hunting?? I've heard It all. It's nothing like feeding/baiting deer. Huge difference! Like Kyle said, come and try It in Northern Minnesota once. Your spot and stalk method will not work here, you can't hardly see 10 yards In front of your nose there. Out west or out In open country spot and stalk can be done with out a problem. I could of shot 2 different bear out In Idaho and In Montana elk hunting, no bear tag. Man was It exciting doing the sneak on them. I wish we were able to do that here In Mn but the terrain don't allow for It. It's real hunting, trust me!![>:]
You apparently missed the little winking smile face at the end of my post. Just a little ribbing going on, sheeze relax.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

You apparently missed the little winking smile face at the end of my post. Just a little ribbing going on, sheeze relax.
Just making sure was all, all fine here.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:57 PM

There is definately nothing wrong with you. I have outfitted bear hunts in Ontario for many years and have seen many attitudes toward the bear. They range from love to fear to respect. The important one is respect. Make no mistake this animal is a predator and he is at the top of the food chain. More people have been attacked by black bears than grizzlies. That does not include many hunters because of coarse you are in a different situation when you are the hunter and the bear is the hunted. Just respect the animal because he is capable of causing you harm.
Hunting a predator is different from hunting other game in that they have a limited ability to think or reason things out and do not react simply by instinct. One should not judge hunting a bear over bait to harshly until one has tried it. What you see on TV is not neccessarily the way it is. You make the smallest error and the bear is history.
Bear hunting is a truly challenging sport, the meat is delicious, and the hide is a great trophy. But, if it is not for you so be it. Would be a dull world if we all were the same.